Search the forum,

Discuss Electric Underfloor Options And Mosaic Tiling in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com.

D

davidsmerv

Hi guys, I have a customer who wants to put electric underfloor of approx 3m2 into a 6m2 bathroom with a timber floor. No big problem there I hear you all say....lol.

The tiles they want to use are whats causing me some concern or rather the build up to the tiles I should say, they have picked a mosaic made up of round pieces of shell (aaahhhh cant remember the correct name for it but im sure youll get my drift) which are around 2mm thick. Normally at a time like this I would be going straight for Ditra heat or similar but of course that wont work with the mosaic on top.

So the dilemma is how to go about it rather than run for the hills!!!!!!!

My thoughts are as follows providing the timber floor is sufficiently strong of course;

• Lay heating cables on top of floor and cover with a layer of self levelling
  • Bond a 6mm cement board of some description onto this with tile adhesive to give a flat and true surface for the mosaic
  • Possibly using BALs new uncoupling mat below tile (anyone any experience of this???)

Im not sure what you will all think of the layer of board on top of the self levelling, ideally it would be good not to have it but I think it could be difficult to get the surface of the self levelling good enough for the tile in question.

I also want to ask has anyone any experience of any of the low build up water based underfloor systems that seem to be around now like this one Thermotube | Low volume hot water underfloor heating system designed for use with renewables.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome
Cheers

D

davidsmerv

As far as I remember Paul they are shell all the way through and they are only around 2mm thick, I can check if you think theres an issue with them

F

Flintstone

I don't see what the problem is? Do a good job of the leveling and tile on it with the mosaic, simples! I wouldn't put a board on top of the wires whatever you do.

S

Stef

6mm thermal boards glued & screwed to the deck, heat mat fitted, slc the lot & then stick tiles on top provided they are suitable for a floor.

T

Tile Shop

Can you tell us where they are being supplied from? gonna do some research on this.

I've had a look through Original Styles range. Some of theirs are only 2mm pure shell, but they advise wall only. Another thing you'll enjoy...... Their recommendation for adhesive and grout is Epoxy. Fingers crossed your are different :)

Reaction score
as a few have said, check the mosaics are fit for floor purpose.

i like @Stef way of doing the floor, but also think one of your first options, a ditra heat type system (other makes are available ;)) would also work. you could fix matting with a flexible adhesive, lay matting and wire then back fill with flexible tile adhesive.

O

Old Mod

as a few have said, check the mosaics are fit for floor purpose.

i like @Stef way of doing the floor, but also think one of your first options, a ditra heat type system (other makes are available ;)) would also work. you could fix matting with a flexible adhesive, lay matting and wire then back fill with flexible tile adhesive.
Would that work Lee?
What about point loading?
It's a genuine question mate, not querying it.
I'd of thought maybe u'd need a 2-3mm latex over it.

D

davidsmerv

Ditra heat is not suitable for anything less than 50mm in size, I am being told by the retailer that the tiles are suitable but now that has been said I am going to double check.

The problem I can foresee with going straight onto the slc with the tiles is that unless im doing something wrong its difficult to get a completely flat even surface with the slc, believe me ive tried on many occasions and theres always some imperfections in it, and with it having heating cables buried i would be reluctant to start surface grinding etc to remove them. Hence the 6mm board to provide a good surface.

Reply to Electric Underfloor Options And Mosaic Tiling in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen