Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Ste450

When you firmly push the tile onto the wall, the adhesive spreads out underneath, giving good coverage and a high bond. With all those badges you have on here, how can you not understand this concept or how adhesive adheres to a given substrate, it's simple stuff. Go and test it for yourself. Use a cement based rapid setting adhesive (Mapei Pro flex) The next day try and pull the tile off the wall...you'll bring all the plasterboard with it or if on a solid wall, you'll have to chisel it off. Do you not understand how drywall "dot and dab" works...how the adhesive bonds to both block/brick and plasterboard?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I won't be trying it....thanks..
Probably tile the whole bathroom by the time you've 'blobbed' a couple of tiles !!

T

Tile Shop

No need for anyone to be confrontational and hissy. Everyone here knows dot'n'dab can fail and we've seen the pictures to prove it. Its going to take a miracle for you to convince others it's ok. You just have to show everyone your method is different to the dot'n'dab that we all know and hate and that it works.

British Standards is a code of practice. They "recommend" spreading the adhesive so thats what everyone is going to do. If anything ever goes to court, that is the definitive black and white that they'll lean on. And if its not been done, prepare to duck the book when its thrown at you. Spreading is also part of the foundations for many of the adhesive manufacturers guarantees. Ignore that and you ain't got a claim if anything goes ****.

Personally I can still see it being quicker with a trowel. If it needs bedding out, spread the wall/floor and the tiles to double the bed depth. Or even "hover" the trowel away from the wall/floor to increase depth. Or better still, correct the wall/floor before starting.

But saying all that, you'll have a slim chance of convincing more people (even though they won't adopt the method) if you take pictures to back it up. One with the dabs and how you set them out, one with the tile fixed flat ideally showing the bed depth from the side, and another after you have just lifted it to prove the coverage you have obtained.

Then maybe we can move on and argue about something else. like which is better, Sigma or Rubi.............

I'll get me coat!

S

Ste450

Probably tile the whole bathroom by the time you've 'blobbed' a couple of tiles !!

Well all I can say is that you asked me how I get my adhesive to key to a substrate, I've told you what I do then I've advised you to go see for yourself. I didn't ask you to tile a whole bathroom using this method, I simply advised you that you should TEST 1 tile out for yourself...

If your asking questions on how adhesive keys to a substrate, then you're clearly not qualified to give out advice on it

S

Ste450

No need for anyone to be confrontational and hissy. Everyone here knows dot'n'dab can fail and we've seen the pictures to prove it. Its going to take a miracle for you to convince others it's ok. You just have to show everyone your method is different to the dot'n'dab that we all know and hate and that it works.

British Standards is a code of practice. They "recommend" spreading the adhesive so thats what everyone is going to do. If anything ever goes to court, that is the definitive black and white that they'll lean on. And if its not been done, prepare to duck the book when its thrown at you. Spreading is also part of the foundations for many of the adhesive manufacturers guarantees. Ignore that and you ain't got a claim if anything goes ****.

Personally I can still see it being quicker with a trowel. If it needs bedding out, spread the wall/floor and the tiles to double the bed depth. Or even "hover" the trowel away from the wall/floor to increase depth. Or better still, correct the wall/floor before starting.

But saying all that, you'll have a slim chance of convincing more people (even though they won't adopt the method) if you take pictures to back it up. One with the dabs and how you set them out, one with the tile fixed flat ideally showing the bed depth from the side, and another after you have just lifted it to prove the coverage you have obtained.

Then maybe we can move on and argue about something else. like which is better, Sigma or Rubi.............

I'll get me coat!

I'm starting a job on Monday so when I start the tiling, I'll take some photos for you all.

There's no way tiles should be coming off a wall, ever...
And I'll never correct a wall that's 5/10mm out other than bedding the tiles out to suit, it's just extra work that would be unnecessary...unless there were mosaics or small tiles being laid :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Ste450

Well all I can say is that you asked me how I get my adhesive to key to a substrate, I've told you what I do then I've advised you to go see for yourself. I didn't ask you to tile a whole bathroom using this method, I simply advised you that you should TEST 1 tile out for yourself...

If your asking questions on how adhesive keys to a substrate, then you're clearly not qualified to give out advice on it

Quicker is not necessarily better...

T

Tile Shop

And I'll never correct a wall that's 5/10mm out other than bedding the tiles out to suit

I guess you mean on the condition that it won't exceed the maximum bed depth. You mentioned Mapei Pro Flex in a previous post. Is that your standard weapon of choice for most projects?

S

Ste450

I guess you mean on the condition that it won't exceed the maximum bed depth. You mentioned Mapei Pro Flex in a previous post. Is that your standard weapon of choice for most projects?

Mapei Pro Fex is 15mm max. Yeah, that's all I use these days, its good strong stuff. Bal is good gear also, just a little too expensive for what it is, I find.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Wow....you really are full of yourself I'm sure your going to make loads of friends on here...:)

S

Ste450

Mapei Pro Fex is 15mm max. Yeah, that's all I use these days, its good strong stuff. Bal is just too expensive for what it is, I find.
Wow....you really are full of yourself I'm sure your going to make loads of friends on here...:)

I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to talk about using a different method to which has, for the most part, been met with hostility, ignorance and sarcasm...

O

One Day

OK, my 2 penneth; we should be aiming for 100% coverage. In reality we probably get 70-90% with notch trowel and back buttering.
You can achieve the same with multiple dabs of adhesive.
Disadvantage of dabs for me is i think it would take longer. It is a temptation to 'make do' with less coverage, and I'd only do it if i skimmed a layer of adhesive into the wall anyway.
Dabbing has it's place, i certainly do it when needed, but i would rather spend the additional time prepping my substrates.
Ste450 has been clear that he's not spot fixing in the sense most of us immediately think.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from with your way of tiling and I also believe you will have very few, if any, failures.
But if you read back through most of your posts in this thread. You will ( I hope) see that they are vey confrontational. This gets others defensive from the off.

F

Flintstone

Do you skim any adhesive on the back of the tile or the wall or do you put blobs all over the back of the tile then stick it on the wall ?

S

Ste450

I understand where you are coming from with your way of tiling and I also believe you will have very few, if any, failures.
But if you read back through most of your posts in this thread. You will ( I hope) see that they are vey confrontational. This gets others defensive from the off.

My first post wasn't confrontational at all, I put my point across well. A lot of the replies of mine to forum users afterwards, I'd agree were confrontational. But, when your getting told that you live in "cuckoo land," and being told things that would totally contradict your own findings and experiences, would you not feel compelled to confront these types of comments? Maybe people shouldn't be so arrogant in the first place. I agree that the way I write, sometimes can come across as quite direct, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I have no problem apologising if I'm in the wrong either.

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen