Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I spread and dot and dab and frequently combine...A lot of the walls I'm presented with leave no choice and I'm afraid it's all about the finish for me...I'll live with 60% coverage

S

Ste450

The article has nothing to do with what youre doing because its about a high performance epoxy adhesive, and its an Aussie article.
We're on a "dot and dab" thread and this is a "dot and dab" article, so it has some relevance. So what if it's an Australian article?

S

Ste450

I spread and dot and dab and frequently combine...A lot of the walls I'm presented with leave no choice and I'm afraid it's all about the finish for me...I'll live with 60% coverage
To be honest and I'm not having a go but they fix to different substrates in Italy and Spain . I bring Spain in because I've been told by a tiler who used to live there it's basically thick bed splodging there as well . The problem is a 15mm solid bed would way 25 kilos not including tile weight onto plaster or plasterboard
again...no problems with this for 13 years for me. So what about different tile weights then? Plasterboard is stronger than you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think the biggist cause of all the friction on this thread has been the way it was approached from the outset. In life it's all about the way you ask for things, the manner in which you do it can completely change the answer you may get and by posting in a sense your asking for a reply. This therefore could have easily been a very interesting and constructive debate.
Ste450's initial reply to Andy's post which was years old and bumped, was in my opinion very obnoxious and for no reason, add into the fact that dot and dabbing is wrong for so many reasons then you can start to understand why he received the reaction he did.
You may well complete a finished job that all the tiles are flush on, but ONE of the major things wrong with it that has already been pointed out but ignored is the max weight load of plaster board. Those weight limits weren't invented for fun.
You will go a very long way before you will find a forum who's members are as qualified and genuinely generous to offer their advise for free than this one and we who are this forum are proud of that.
A point put accross in a more mannerly fashion will be considered, discussed and respected!
Didn't know there was hidden history, Ste450's post didn't look that bad to me.
Don't think anyone would be criticising the wealth of quality advise from experts on this site, it's second to none.
Seems like the d+d method is still well practiced, and perhaps not as outrageous as first implied.
It's very easy to be overly passionate about your point of view and sound a bit aggressive, especially if your not experienced in forum etiquette, and easy to be over defensive.
Either way, makes for good reading!

S

Ste450

I think the biggist cause of all the friction on this thread has been the way it was approached from the outset. In life it's all about the way you ask for things, the manner in which you do it can completely change the answer you may get and by posting in a sense your asking for a reply. This therefore could have easily been a very interesting and constructive debate.
Ste450's initial reply to Andy's post which was years old and bumped, was in my opinion very obnoxious and for no reason, add into the fact that dot and dabbing is wrong for so many reasons then you can start to understand why he received the reaction he did.
You may well complete a finished job that all the tiles are flush on, but ONE of the major things wrong with it that has already been pointed out but ignored is the max weight load of plaster board. Those weight limits weren't invented for fun.
You will go a very long way before you will find a forum who's members are as qualified and genuinely generous to offer their advise for free than this one and we who are this forum are proud of that.
A point put accross in a more mannerly fashion will be considered, discussed and respected!

Totally disagree. My first post was spot on and got my point across and all I got back, for the most part was ignorance and sarcasm. it's more like I've ruffled a few feathers and people don't like it...

S

Ste450

Didn't know there was hidden history, Ste450's post didn't look that bad to me.
Don't think anyone would be criticising the wealth of quality advise from experts on this site, it's second to none.
Seems like the d+d method is still well practiced, and perhaps not as outrageous as first implied.
It's very easy to be overly passionate about your point of view and sound a bit aggressive, especially if your not experienced in forum etiquette, and easy to be over defensive.
Either way, makes for good reading!
Thank you mate :)

S

Ste450

I think I read somewhere a few years ago that the recommendation was 60-65% coverage

S

Ste450

Love this thread.
Agree with Ste450, I use a combination of methods with large format tiles on bad walls, which 95% of walls are in my experience.
I spead wall, spread tile, dots where extra needed, then back fill edges.
Will sometimes just multi dot, then back fill, allways ensure this a healthy amout of excess adhesive sqeezed out as they're fixed.
Been using this method for a decade.
Had no failures.
Had to replace tiles after being damaged and all have had excellent coverage.
If walls were flat and plumb I'd trowel them, but so rarely are.
At the end of the day, both methods provide about the same amount of coverage.
Whatever gets the job done properly.
Ste450, it's easy to feel a bit picked on,
remember these guys on this site who are trusted advisors can only give advise conforming to current industry standards. Other members who don't will often have a different opinions.
If you post a picture on this site, it will be microscoped and any imperfections will be highlighted.
Don't feel like your getting picked on, it's the norm.

...but there were no imperfections ;)

S

Ste450

To be honest and I'm not having a go but they fix to different substrates in Italy and Spain . I bring Spain in because I've been told by a tiler who used to live there it's basically thick bed splodging there as well . The problem is a 15mm solid bed would way 25 kilos not including tile weight onto plaster or plasterboard
Also, there are ma
i very much doubt that

And I think it was on the back of a tub of Mapei red top. But I can't say 100% for sure.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There's a bloke on a Facebook forum i go on for a laugh, biggest dicks I've ever come across (I know, that sounds a bit **** :( )
There's a tiler called simon benn from Leeds , if he comes on here 'hi Simon' ,
He always says he d&ds on every job, walls and floors ,and been doing it 20 years with no problems at all, his website /Facebook page work looks good , I will have a look for it now.

Found it
S,B,Tiling LTD - http://www.sbtiling.co.uk/

S

Ste450

To be honest and I'm not having a go but they fix to different substrates in Italy and Spain . I bring Spain in because I've been told by a tiler who used to live there it's basically thick bed splodging there as well . The problem is a 15mm solid bed would way 25 kilosnot including tile weight onto plaster or plasterboard

I can imagine that the recommendations for maximum weight are well under what it can actually take. We see it also with airline maximum speeds, we see it with sell by dates. Manufactures need to cover their arses big time, so they give a Maximum which will be well under fail zone, to do just that...cover their arses. Like I've said 13 years...no problems arrising from this. That's just myself, my old mans been in the building game for 40 years...

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think there has been a bit of confusion between different ideas on this thread, if you say dot and dab, to me that is 5 spot method, which we ALL agree is wrong, this confusion has got people's back up on different sides of the discussion as they are talking different method and still not agreeing, to me, combing a wall with a notched trowel and back buttering is best, but only if you do it right and ensure coverage, ste knows his method of using many dabs works, compressed to achieve high rate coverage works, a method on bad walls I do use just a bit differently to ste, I and almost everyone agrees this method can have a place in the industry, if done correct, if ste chooses to do it all the time, does it right, gets good coverage and good results and good quality then to me the only issue across this whole thread really, is people's perception of what dot and dab or spot fixing actually means. 5 spot is wrong what are does isn't when done correctly

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I tiled a bathroom about ten years ago with quartz tiles on plasterboard , according to bs far too much weight , they are still on to this day , solid as a rock , you would pull the house down trying to get them off .

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen