Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Ste450

There's a bloke on a Facebook forum i go on for a laugh, biggest dicks I've ever come across (I know, that sounds a bit **** :( )
There's a tiler called simon benn from Leeds , if he comes on here 'hi Simon' ,
He always says he d&ds on every job, walls and floors ,and been doing it 20 years with no problems at all, his website /Facebook page work looks good , I will have a look for it now.

Found it
S,B,Tiling LTD - http://www.sbtiling.co.uk/[
I think there has been a bit of confusion between different ideas on this thread, if you say dot and dab, to me that is 5 spot method, which we ALL agree is wrong, this confusion has got people's back up on different sides of the discussion as they are talking different method and still not agreeing, to me, combing a wall with a notched trowel and back buttering is best, but only if you do it right and ensure coverage, ste knows his method of using many dabs works, compressed to achieve high rate coverage works, a method on bad walls I do use just a bit differently to ste, I and almost everyone agrees this method can have a place in the industry, if done correct, if ste chooses to do it all the time, does it right, gets good coverage and good results and good quality then to me the only issue across this whole thread really, is people's perception of what dot and dab or spot fixing actually means. 5 spot is wrong what are does isn't when done correctly

Definitely! Well said! Its all about coverage, not the method you use to achieve it :)

S

Ste450

I tiled a bathroom about ten years ago with quartz tiles on plasterboard , according to bs far too much weight , they are still on to this day , solid as a rock , you would pull the house down trying to get them off .

Ripped a few like that out before now, bloody nightmare lol! Well solid!

I

Italy

I think there has been a bit of confusion between different ideas on this thread, if you say dot and dab, to me that is 5 spot method, which we ALL agree is wrong, this confusion has got people's back up on different sides of the discussion as they are talking different method and still not agreeing, to me, combing a wall with a notched trowel and back buttering is best, but only if you do it right and ensure coverage, ste knows his method of using many dabs works, compressed to achieve high rate coverage works, a method on bad walls I do use just a bit differently to ste, I and almost everyone agrees this method can have a place in the industry, if done correct, if ste chooses to do it all the time, does it right, gets good coverage and good results and good quality then to me the only issue across this whole thread really, is people's perception of what dot and dab or spot fixing actually means. 5 spot is wrong what are does isn't when done correctly
exactly, it was what I wanted to say. thank you

S

Ste450

i very much doubt that

It was about 8 years ago mind, but I've had a look on Mapei's website and found the technical specs. It now says 80% coverage... :)

http://www.mapei.com/public/US/products/Type_1_EN_lr.pdf

IMG_7282.PNG

S

Ste450

Steven, are we talking about spot fixing ready mixed adhesive now?

No I don't use the stuff, I don't like it...
I'm just simply talking about coverage. 80% is not the 100% like people were taking on here
So you're not 100% sure about it being 65% about 8 years ago?
Just to clarify Steven, this was on a tub of ready mixed adhesive?

Right, I looked at a tub of Mapei D1 adhesive about 8 years ago...
I'm "pretty sure" that it said at least 65% coverage was good enough...

You getting me now?

T

Time's Ran Out

I abandonment of the trend, because it arrived a severe headache.
beginning to be confused ..... :( sorry

It's all about who's got the biggest dick!
Is it Richard ,Rich , Dickie or Dick? Or indeed any other name to be abbreviated.
Seen a few jobs with 60% coverage and the gap is visible through the tile, the famous 5 method can often leave a dice look through travertine and if you don't adhere to plasterboard guidelines who comes unstuck after 13 years - or is that someone else's problem.
Like all these posts it's just my opinion and it is a New Year!

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen

dot and dab > Page 11 > Tiling Advice - Tilers Forums
Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Ste450

There's a bloke on a Facebook forum i go on for a laugh, biggest dicks I've ever come across (I know, that sounds a bit **** :( )
There's a tiler called simon benn from Leeds , if he comes on here 'hi Simon' ,
He always says he d&ds on every job, walls and floors ,and been doing it 20 years with no problems at all, his website /Facebook page work looks good , I will have a look for it now.

Found it
S,B,Tiling LTD - http://www.sbtiling.co.uk/[

Definitely! Well said! Its all about coverage, not the method you use to achieve it :)

S

Ste450

I tiled a bathroom about ten years ago with quartz tiles on plasterboard , according to bs far too much weight , they are still on to this day , solid as a rock , you would pull the house down trying to get them off .

Ripped a few like that out before now, bloody nightmare lol! Well solid!

I

Italy

exactly, it was what I wanted to say. thank you

S

Ste450

i very much doubt that

It was about 8 years ago mind, but I've had a look on Mapei's website and found the technical specs. It now says 80% coverage... :)

http://www.mapei.com/public/US/products/Type_1_EN_lr.pdf

IMG_7282.PNG

S

Ste450

Steven, are we talking about spot fixing ready mixed adhesive now?

No I don't use the stuff, I don't like it...
I'm just simply talking about coverage. 80% is not the 100% like people were taking on here
So you're not 100% sure about it being 65% about 8 years ago?
Just to clarify Steven, this was on a tub of ready mixed adhesive?

Right, I looked at a tub of Mapei D1 adhesive about 8 years ago...
I'm "pretty sure" that it said at least 65% coverage was good enough...

You getting me now?

T

Time's Ran Out

I abandonment of the trend, because it arrived a severe headache.
beginning to be confused ..... :( sorry

It's all about who's got the biggest dick!
Is it Richard ,Rich , Dickie or Dick? Or indeed any other name to be abbreviated.
Seen a few jobs with 60% coverage and the gap is visible through the tile, the famous 5 method can often leave a dice look through travertine and if you don't adhere to plasterboard guidelines who comes unstuck after 13 years - or is that someone else's problem.
Like all these posts it's just my opinion and it is a New Year!

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen