Discuss ditra over chipboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

marksman

hi all. im due to tile an extension floor that has chipboard down and was wondering if its possible to put ditra mat over it and then tile.trying to avoid overboarding with ply if possible. has anyone any advice on the best solution for this.what would you guys do?thanks

D

DHTiling

Personally i would hardi and then ditra.. not a fan of relying on adhesive alone to hold to chipboard.

P

Protilers

I have a question......knowing what we know about chipboard.....why is it still being used in tiling installs?...... Chipboard, MDF.....is no good.....and IMO covering it in anything else is just "masking" the problem......if water penetrates, as it WILL if there is a leak from a dishwasher etc (or in this case the cleaner spills her bucket of water!)....... the chipboard/MDF will "blow" .. passing by the moisture resistant "hardibacker" OR the Waterproof "marmox/wedi etc"........it does not matter...... the problem is the "Chipboard".......IMO..... just a thought!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

It is a thought lee.

Here is a scenario.

£30,000 kitchen fitted, customer had no plans as yet for floor covering.

4 months later they decide on tiles , chipboard on joists , the kitchen cannot now be removed , what do you do ?

P

Protilers

I know what you mean Dave......and I understand!...and in that situation I would proberbly cut the chipboard back to the feet of the kitchen, then I would install noggins that "should" have been there...
(and you and I both know they are not!)...then install a similar (same) sized ply board.....then I would Tank the joins overlapping the chipboard as much as humanly possible.......then either install ditra, hardi, wedi or marmox.......

but all this aside..... my point was more related to why are peeps putting in chipboard on floors they "know" are going to be tiled......(like kitchens and bathrooms!) and the answer is......
Because its CHEAP......and the tiler will get over it......until there is a problem..........and then its the tilers fault!............as in you and me!!!!

heheheehehehheheeeee

all the best mate

Lee

P

Protilers

but now you have to answer my question.........and please dont answer it with a question!!!.....hehehhhehheheheheheeeeeeeee

P

Protilers

It is a thought lee.

Here is a scenario.

£30,000 kitchen fitted, customer had no plans as yet for floor covering.

4 months later they decide on tiles , chipboard on joists , the kitchen cannot now be removed , what do you do ?

I have a question......knowing what we know about chipboard.....why is it still being used in tiling installs?

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I had a plumber once tell me you can tile onto chipboard ,it was in an en suite , but its get better he even puts chipboard in shower cubicles , then tiles it! I Told the customer you should get rid of your plumber , they weren't to happy as he's been recommended by a family friend , two months later the client rang me to repair everything , lol!!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Simply case i think lee is the same reason they use tubbed adhesive on builds. Cheaper and easier to handle.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping this thread. If it's not a current topic then don't worry about it for now. Other threads like this can be found in the main tiling forum. If you do want to reply to it, please do. Your information may add value to somebody reading the forum in the future.

Reply to ditra over chipboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley