Search the forum,

Discuss Ditra on Anhydrite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

The prices are outragous, i used GBTA for a job and it worked out double the cost of cement based.

So really guys you are confirming what makes us nervous about this whole system, the cement and the gypsum are not compatible, yet we still getting specs from Bal and Mapei saying just to prime as normal, not a mention of Epoxy anywhere, change the spec and we are on very dodgy ground if there is a problem.

Gypsum based adhesives does seem the way to go, but these do not adhere as well to the tiles as modified cement based so we are back to the problems when porcelain was introduced.
There is still lots of science, and big words, but these do not make the system very inspiring confidence wise.

It just seems very blase of the adhesive companies to stick with a spec that could very easily lead to problems.

S

Sean SML Tiling

Ive never tiled onto this substrate but going off what you guys are sayis the method is
1-Check moisture
2-Remove film
3-hoover
4-prime using epoxy primer if using cement based adhesives
5-use gypsum based adhesive for uncoupling
6-use flexible cement based adhesive on top of uncoupling membrane

Anything ive missed out or in the wrong order?

M

Mark S

Smltiling, you got it + the commissioning of course
As for prices we at Gyvlon hope to launch our own brand adhesives in the near future, will advise when they are available, they will be gypsum compatible, and we will aim to be sensibly priced.
The big companies have always pushed the use of acrylic primers, but from experience there is much less risk using epoxy ones, not sure why they insist on acrylic as they all make epoxys,.

S

Sean SML Tiling

Id happily take a job on tomorrow without being scared I now know the process so if something fails I know it wouldn't be down to me fixing

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Gents.. Very helpful! ;)

Id happily take a job on tomorrow without being scared I now know the process so if something fails I know it wouldn't be down to me fixing

That's very easy to say, but as pointed out, the best fixing method isn't the method being recommended by a lot of the manufacturers, so if there IS a problem, i can almost guarantee it'll be on your head. ;)

P

Peter

How do the gypsum adhesives deal with the fleece of the ditra? Noone will say for definite that the two won't reject each other.

I

Ian

How do the gypsum adhesives deal with the fleece of the ditra? Noone will say for definite that the two won't reject each other.

I haven't fixed ditra but, have fixed dural ci+ with a gypsum adhesive (creative impressions), and it stuck really well and I mean, really well!

M

Mark S

I am a firm believer that you should use products from 1 manufacturer, a 'system'. Ditra don't make adhesives, but are recognised as a brand leader, the 'hoover' of de-coupling membranes
If one of the major adhesive manufacturers, and I know they can, provide a spec for the full 'system' I would go with that.

Reply to Ditra on Anhydrite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen