Search the forum,

Discuss Disaster! Grout stained porcelain tiles - tiles weren't sealed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

OK..

what i will suggest is leave it till monday and see if the damp framing subsides, if not then please do come back..

It could just be moisture within the tile edges that has not dispersed yet.

M

Meek

It was around a week and a half. He laid the tiles with cement rather than adhesive as the floor was uneven and it's quite a large area. Is there any way to tell the difference between damp staining and dye-staining?

F

faithhealer

It was around a week and a half. He laid the tiles with cement rather than adhesive as the floor was uneven and it's quite a large area. Is there any way to tell the difference between damp staining and dye-staining?
get a pencil and draw around one of the stain marks, check in the morning to see if its receeded any

M

Meek

Ok, I'm going to give that a try. Thank you very much for your advice Dave and faithhealer.

S

Spud

hi meek, sorry to see your floor so badly stained ,molise is a tile I am quite familar with and there is a branch of esl where I live ,when we work with molise we remove all the plastic film before tiling and clean any glue residue off of them ,the molise tile has the holes in it to make it look like travertine ,they have several colours matt and polished finish ,we normally use lithofin fz stainstop before laying and remove any excess sealer that is still on the tile after 20mins with a clean cloth,I think the brown colour grout was a mistake for this colour tile unless you were going to over grout the whole surface and fill all the holes up,I am unsure of how to remove the dye from your tiles but if it was me I would try a rotary floor polishing machine and an abrasive cleaner such as nanoscrub or lithofin abra-clean ,to see if its worth pursuing this method get some cif and a scotchbrite pad and do a test area to see if it does any good,good luck,
Esl are pretty helpful ring Tony at stevenage 01438 729900 :thumbsup:
pictures of molise polished with ivory grout

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Onlinetiler

Hi Meek,

The link Yorkshire left further up could be the perfect stuff for the job, I've had to use it on a similar scenario before to clean up a botched grouting job (hasten to add not mine, just called in to rectify) - charcoal grout on a white polished porcelain and it took a couple of go's but did the job.

Reply to Disaster! Grout stained porcelain tiles - tiles weren't sealed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen