Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting Plinths & Doors. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

m3fitter

Re: Cutting Plyths & Doors.

I try and avoid the woodwork stuff, unless they are only having tiling done, if its numerous doors / plinths etc. thresholds for height issues, I'd quote for it, and get a chippy in, too stressful, dealing with solid oak doors, we do tiles, chippies do wood.... and even cheap doors can be a nightmare, as no wood left on the bottom of the door to plane off ! if hardibacker, UFH, Latex blah blah blah... I used to offer the full service, but now its so busy, I concentrate on the large floors, like 6-7 years ago

pete f

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Re: Cutting Plyths & Doors.

normally they leave the plinths off until tiling is completed I only cut architraves

T

taffy

Re: Cutting Plinths & Doors.

In answer the original question, no... nothing is included if tiling by square meter... I Don't do per square meter anyhow, all "extra's" should be priced accordingly and separate.
As I'm kitchen bedrooms and bathrooms I am willing to take on anything within my legal abilities as it all helps to put food on the table

cam_low

TF
Reaction score

Since I have been learning to fit kitchens with my pal down here I have taken on a love for wood. I used to avoid it all costs however now its new and fresh I enjoy it. Palm routers are thee best !

As for cutting them down previously, I have always had a chippy on hand to do it for me. However now I cut them down with a Makita plunge saw on a guide rail. Easy peasy.

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Cutting plinths etc I wont even silicone if I can help it am there to tile and that's all I do :)

T

taffy

Cutting plinths etc I wont even silicone if I can help it am there to tile and that's all I do :)

I wish I had enough tiling work to do the same, I'd be much happier just tiling or even just bathrooms (hate kitchens lol) then I wouldn't have to have/carry round so many different tools for all the possibilities.
[MENTION=5067]cam_low[/MENTION] ...plunge saws... great aint they :thumbsup:

C

charlie1

These are very small joinery jobs that in my opinion should be undertaken by any tiler / floor layer in this day on the domestic front. By not taking them on I'd say you put yourself in a position of loosing work as there is a very high probability that another tiler will do it.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score

Well over the last few months of kitchen fitting I have found out that I was limiting my money making skills as I am, according to my teacher, a very skilled person who is massively conscientious for final finish in being perfect. haha his words.
@taffy plunge saws are thee best !! Though the palm router and attachments are very cool too ! here is a little bit of work in a kitchen I did last week.
2014-08-25 15.59.25.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Cant say I've ever lost a job because I don't cut plinths or doors....customers don't expect you to, your quoting there tiling not there carpentry. ..

C

charlie1

Cant say I've ever lost a job because I don't cut plinths or doors....customers don't expect you to, your quoting there tiling not a carpentry. ..

I doubt I could tell you the reason I've ever lost a job andy. As I say, in this day and age others are doing this type of work in abundance as part of the package. Hey, if it works for you then fine mate

C

charlie1

Cant say I've ever lost a job because I don't cut plinths or doors....customers don't expect you to, your quoting there tiling not there carpentry. ..

andy, I've just noticed on your signature the services you offer but you won't cut a piece of wood lol

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

andy, I've just noticed on your signature the services you offer but you won't cut a piece of wood lol

I get the relevant trades in. Plumber, electrician .
And im the same as tj any prep that I tile over is no problem but 2nd fix carpentry then I get a carpenter in.

Its a shame that some on here have double standers. They moan about how much our trade is getting diluted by builders and other trades that think tiling is easy. Yet they feel the need to treat other trades with the same contentment...as in its easy and any tom dick and harry can do it....

Like I said its not that I can't do it I just choose not to. Im busy enough tiling so it makes no difference to me what so ever. .:thumbsup:

C

charlie1

I get the relevant trades in. Plumber, electrician .
And im the same as tj any prep that I tile over is no problem but 2nd fix carpentry then I get a carpenter in.

Its a shame that some on here have double standers. They moan about how much our trade is getting diluted by builders and other trades that think tiling is easy. Yet they feel the need to treat other trades with the same contentment...as in its easy and any tom dick and harry can do it....

Like I said its not that I can't do it I just choose not to. Im busy enough tiling so it makes no difference to me what so ever. .:thumbsup:

all points taken andy but this is the way of the world I'm finding on the domestic front, everyone doing it all and I don't mean jack of all trades types. I wish I was in your situation at times to just be doing tiling as that's where my passion is but it's simply too unreliable. How many times are we let down by other trades and we miss a day or 2 work because of it. Anyway, going slightly off topic.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score

I am of the thinking now that I certainly cant beat them so I will join them after the relevant training which I am receiving in abundance. The money you can make on supply and fit kitchens is crazy. Its the right path for me.

Reply to Cutting Plinths & Doors. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
Small quantity of 20 x 31.6 in white required to replace broken tiles.
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen