Discuss Cut though wall for patio doors in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 00.06.13.jpg Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 00.05.51.jpg Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 00.05.36.jpg

I am an experienced DIYer and "finishing off" after a builder!

We cut through the solid stone wall to install patio doors with an existing slate floor in situ The builder has laid DPC and put self level down in the threshold voids created. I have cut out damaged slates and levelled the floor where a hearth was totally removed, also a single slate in the middle of the floor where a newel post used to be (staircase removed). Here the floor is 'nearly' at the right level for tiling cement to be used and pretty flat, i.e. to the level of the original screed. In the patio door threshold, the self-leveller is still about 30mm lower than the top of the existing tiles.

I will cut down 50 400mm square slate tiles to the original 9" x 14" to fit back in the gaps. The originals seem to have been laid in thick-bed mortar on a concrete screed, with the same mortar used as grout!

I have three questions if anyone can advise me!

1. For the floor where the tiles were cut out and I will have the 9x14 to go in - what adhesive to use.

2. Will the grout stain the slate. Should it be sealed BEFORE grouting.

3 How would you raise the patio door threshold level to be ready to tile. Would a mortar mix do the job.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
C

colski76

1. A grey single part flexible adhesive
2. Yes they should be sealed before grouting... Then the whole floor (definitely the tiles you're putting back in)perhaps another 2 times after fixing
3. Not sure about that

T

Time's Ran Out

Fix the ones in the threshold with sand and cement.
Seal whenever - slate is quite impervious.
Other tiles with fast set flexible adhesive but I'd put a skrim accross the joint first.

Reaction score
Fix the ones in the threshold with sand and cement.
Seal whenever - slate is quite impervious.
Other tiles with fast set flexible adhesive but I'd put a skrim accross the joint first.

What would you use for the scrim - would it be like plasterboard scrim, please.

W

White Room

Plasterboard scrim would'nt be adequate, if you have enough depth under the tile some expanded metal lathing or some trusted chicken wire....

W

White Room

You could also put a strip of ditra across the area where it's been jointed....

Reply to Cut though wall for patio doors in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks