Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss customer added work on and refuses to pay more than initial quote after work has begu in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I started a job I got through a kitchen company and after an initial quote to work before the kitchen was fitted. On arrival the client had purchased a 10 x 8 bathroom tile for the wall and a low gradeceramic tile for the floor. I began the work on a wednesday afternoon, after not being able to start the work on the morning because the lady was having her hair cut. I bit my tongue about both issues and started tile the floor, the floor began and continued smoothly and the next day I began the walls, an initial quote for six metres at a reduced rate soon turned into more work as they decided tile around the fitted cooker hood was neccessary and behind the fridges and the washing machine which was in a fitted cupboard. Again I bit my tongue and only spoke to the kitchen company when some socckets needed removing to fit the slightly unusual kitchen wall tile, they informed me that the work they'd done was intended as minimal and the customer had been chaging his mind and getting extra work out of them and would therefore be unable to put any extra time in to alter sockets. On friday morning it was apparent at least an extra days work would be needed once various jobs the customer had changed his mind about were done. I finished the floor and said we would book another day in once the appropriate work was done, and an electritian could be arranged. I finished the floor and asked the customer to pay for the floor which they were happy with, he refused saying he would only pay when the whole job was done, I explained that having to change jobs around and wait indefinitely until the kichen company had changed a shelf because his wifes ornaments didn't fit on it and a few other jobs it could be a week until they got round to doing it I needed to be paid for the floor and I would happily finish the walls when it was suitable. He still refused and therefore I am unwilling to put more days into a job where the guy won't pay for work that's already done and unwilling to cover cost of electrician or cover costs of work he added on. Does anyone know my right's on claiming for the floor as I'm a one man band and can neither afford to lose the money or waste any more days on this idiot.

OP
M

MICK the Tiler

Re: customer added work on and refuses to pay more than initial quote after work has

G'Day and welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

OP
F

Fekin

Re: customer added work on and refuses to pay more than initial quote after work has

I would just show him a pic of you Fekin and say if you don't pay then I will get this thing onto you. That will prob give him a heart attack!! (Forum pic that is mate) :lol:

Or just bite the sod :lol:

OP
L

LM Ceramics

hello and welcome to the forums 7 months later but who cares

OP
J

justinisaac

People like that are fortunately fairly uncommon. Try looking into taking it to the small claims court. A plumber who I know sends a reminder out after 1 week and if that doesn't work he tells them he's doing just that. Get litigious on them - works every time!
Justin

OP
R

R Montgomery

For the future get the client to sign off on a change order before touching anything not on the original contract.

OP
W

White Room

Have a look at the start date of the post mate:yikes:

OP
F

Fekin

Only posted 2 messages, and the last one was nearly a year ago, though was last on the forum 2 weeks ago.

Zander

-
Reaction score
Hi folks new to tile just starting out quick Q , would it be fair to have a contract written up between both tradesman and client with rules of payment for both party's to agree to incase of no payment then can not be argued with in court ? and as being a sole trader have some payment upfront say 50% of labour cost and remaining payment to be made on completion of the laid tiles or grouting to be completed on final payment on the morning of finish day before completing the job ?

Reply to customer added work on and refuses to pay more than initial quote after work has begu in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock