Search the forum,

Discuss Cracks! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilly

Hello,

Some days ago our conservatory floor has been tiled and skirting board has been affixed by a handyman (paid after completion), and now there are already cracks between the tiles (see 4 photos below, normally all the other joints "only" have little hair-line cracks).

Here a list of all the layers we remember (from bottom to top):

1. Concrete Foundation
2. 100mm Polystyren Sheet Jablite Jabfloor 70 Eps Floor Insulation (without timbers, we were told we won't need timbers)
3. 18mm Chipboard Egger Tongue and Grooved 4 Sides Moisture Resistant (P5) - walking on this unstable layer made us sceptical, but we were told it's "floating floor" and in the end it will be perfect
4. 5mm (max.) Tile Adhesive or something (we don't know what - could it be that plasterboard adhesive was being used to glue the tiles onto the chipboards? - there was an empty bag lying around) / Silicone (near doors)
5. Tiles (300mm x 300mm)
6. jointing with TradePoint "WALL ADH & GRT"

What has been done wrong, and how can it be fixed? (... by us?)

We are under time pressure, and since our conservatory already costed a lot more than quoted in the end, there is not much left for additional work.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

full

full

full

full

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Oh dear, where to start?! Tiling floating floors is considered a no no by the majority of professionals unless we're able to fix it solid or prep it to eliminate as much movement as possible. Long and short of it is your grout is cracking due to excess movement. Imo you're not going to be able to salvage this floor. Has it cracked in every joint? Did the tiler give you any guarantees?

F

Flintstone

They have stuck the tiles to a floating chip board floor with plasterboard adhesive and grouted with 'adhesive and grout' all in one.
It doesn't get much worse really.

T

Tile Shop

Ummm.....

Do you have a picture of the adhesive bag or can you get the name?

Floating floors are always temperamental. This guy who did it obviously knows nothing about tiling. sorry but its another danger of having a handyman over a professional tiler. He "might" have gotten away with it if an S2 adhesive, decoupling membrane, or cement backer overboarding was used.

Because of the way they are lifting (they are not just grout cracks, looks like they actually are debonding) I'm also willing to bet the adhesive hasn't been spread properly, if at all....... not that it would have bonded fully to chipboard anyway if the wrong stuff was used. Can you also lift a tile and take a picture of whats going on beneath it? That tile in the 4th picture doesn't look like it will take too much persuasion.

Unfortunately as @Localtiler says. No fix..... it will need starting from scratch, but if you get all the tiles up and take a picture of the whole floor we might be able to offer some better suggestions of what to do next in terms of prepping and fixing.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
floating floor. EPS70 is too spongy for a tiled floor. chipboard unstable and unfixed. whole thing moves. end result... well you can see the end result.

sadly take it up and start again

T

Time's Ran Out

Unfortunately everything is wrong from poor preparation, tiling on a floating floor (chipboard as well) to choice of adhesive and grout. There is absolutely no solution other than to take it all up and have it done professionally - by a tiler you've seen work/ recommendations from.
As earlier said - it doesn't get any worse!

J

J Sid

first mistake was to get a handyman to do the tiling :(
all out and start from concreate and build up from here properly

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
So you got about 118mm to play with , maybe use a 50mm insulation board ( check U values ) then a 60mm/70mm screed on top ( thicker the better if you have more height as it will unbonded), then tile. Thats what I'd do if it were mine , given the situation.
Didnt have to worry about all that years ago , base , membrane , sub floor , bonded screed , tile , happy days :D, need a digger to rip up an old school floor imho.

Diggy

Reply to Cracks! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen