Search the forum,

Discuss Cracks In New Concrete Floors in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hello all
I'm a tiler in Ireland and I get a lot of new one off houses to tile, most of these have ready mix concrete floors, the kind that's pored before any walls are built and most of these floors have cracks in them, hairline cracks and slightly bigger, I have been using the Bal decoupling membrane and similar to combat this which is a big expense to my customers.
Does anyone here have experience with this and how else could I solve this problem?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Depends on a lot of variables really, how long the floor has been down, still drying out / settling, construction, tile type to be used, adhesive being used, if in doubt belt and braces, easier and safer in the long run.

Reaction score
Hello Alan
These floors are poured early in construction and have months to dry and settle, mostly 60x60 polished or glazed porcelain primed and stuck with Dunlop set plus.
What's everyone's thoughts on using thin decoupling mat in strips to divert any movement to tile joints?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hello Alan
These floors are poured early in construction and have months to dry and settle, mostly 60x60 polished or glazed porcelain primed and stuck with Dunlop set plus.
What's everyone's thoughts on using thin decoupling mat in strips to divert any movement to tile joints?

If the slabs are dry and only hairline cracks then it should be fine to fix to, I take it there's no underfloor heating ? As for using strips across the cracks, I wouldn't, if there's going to be movement you want the whole area done imho that is.

Reaction score
Sometimes there is under floor heating and I go through the heating/cooling process, the cracks are open at times, maybe 1 or 2mm. The problem I have is that if im tiling a big kitchen floor of 50 Mtrs or so and there's a 1 or 2 mm crack across one end of the room it seems mad to cover the whole floor with decoupling mat.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Well it's a gamble, you may get away with it, you may have gotten away with it, but especially on new /er builds I would be wary ? a kitchen of 50m2 is a sizable job to have to do twice ?

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would always use ditra mat where any under floor heating is involed. You just have to talk with the client explain the pros and cons tell them it's worth paying the extra money now or possibly a lot more in the future.
After advice like that it's up to them. If you don't think a verbal conversation is enough to absolve you of any potential blame put it in an email just for the record. It's amazing how people can forget what's been said when the poo hits the fan.

Reaction score
Thanks lads, I know what you're saying, you can't be too careful. And I have used thin decoupling mat to divert potential crack movement and off square cut expansions to tile joints with no problems as of yet but time will tell, I have also tried epoxy stitching but I don't rate it too high. I think these builders should go back to putting down sub floors and sand/cement screeds, far less problems with them.

Reply to Cracks In New Concrete Floors in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen