Search the forum,

Discuss Crackle Glaze tile discoloured in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dodd4721

View attachment 60397 The same grey colour is now appearing on the edges of the other tiles, this seems to have appeared after 3/4 days of drying out! a grey blush seems to be developing and spreading across the other tiles.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You could have a leak on the shower mixer and this is running down the face of the tanking until it gets to the bottom. Or a
Eakins behind the shower door profile. Was it silicones before fitting the profile?

D

dodd4721

Hi, I sealed the tray before fitting the profiles and the connections to the mixer look watertight.

W

WetSaw

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask but not being a tiler I don't know all of the technical terms. What is "Eakins" Chalker?

If the shower hasn't been used for a few days and the problem is getting worse it does suggest a leak in the pipework somewhere rather than ingress from the shower.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It's strange that only full tiles are affected (according to photo).

Did you use a wet cutter for the bottom row?

These tiles do absorb a lot of water. If they are sealed whilst they still contain water then the water will be trapped within the tile.

When they are being sealed you will probably hear a 'cracking noise'. This is the glaze on the tile still crackling. I would seal again and again.

As you have now found out, these tiles are not really suited to a shower environment. I personally would not guarantee my work if I installed in a shower. Some customers are very insistent, like the ones that have slippery polished porcelain in their bathrooms!

As an experiment measure out some water and pour it over a tile in a dish. See how much water the tile absorbs.

How long did you leave the tiles before you sealed?

I would suggest you also contact Walls & Floors, but I have dealt with them in the past and they are not experts in tiles or anything tile related.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask but not being a tiler I don't know all of the technical terms. What is "Eakins" Chalker?

If the shower hasn't been used for a few days and the problem is getting worse it does suggest a leak in the pipework somewhere rather than ingress from the shower.

Sorry!
Should have typed " leaking" :oops:

D

dodd4721

I haven't boarded up the ceiling directly underneath the shower yet so all the pipes are visible and there are no leaks at all

H

Help please!

What happened with this? I wish I’d read this before purchasing crackle glazed tiles for our new shower 🙈

View attachment 60397 The same grey colour is now appearing on the edges of the other tiles, this seems to have appeared after 3/4 days of drying out! a grey blush seems to be developing and spreading across the other tiles.

Reply to Crackle Glaze tile discoloured in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen