Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Constructing a raised deck / balcony - advice please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

completehandy

I’m planning to build a new raised deck / balcony on the back of my bungalow which is built on a sloping site. It will be around 2.4 metres out from the bungalow and probably 3.2 metres long.

The main issues are controlling costs as I’m very tight on budget, minimal on-going maintenance and ideally creating a dry area underneath to store the mower and other gardening tools. (It will be around 1.7 metres off the ground)

At the moment my plan is to create the main decking structure from timber supported at the front on brick columns and by a wall plate on the house side.

I don’t really want to use timber decking due to maintenance and the fact that it isn’t waterproof. Instead I’m considering using 18mm ply or OSB3 for the floor surface (possibly two layers) and laying a Ditra matting type product on top of this with porcelain tiles on that. I would presumably have to tape the joints in the matting and possibly add some uPVC angle or similar around the open sides to protect the edges of the ply / OSB from water ingress. Would the Ditra matting act as a waterproof layer or would I need to somehow waterproof the ply before it was laid. I know Schluter systems do some items especially for this type of application but believe they are very expensive.

What do you think? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

John.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use ply outside like that.
THAT is going to be the expensive route because you'll end up redoing it using something that's actually waterproof.

What are the schluter options for this?

You may find Dural or somebody else has something slightly cheaper maybe?

Do you want porcelain tiles as the final finish? Or do you just wants use those for their durability and water resistant properties to prolong the life of the terrace?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As already said I think you will end up rebuilding it within 3 years. A plastic edge wont keep the water out as it will encourage capillary action which will allow water ingress at the edged. You will also have issues with expansion and contraction and possibly deflection. You could always use a concrete beam and block system or perhaps a lewis decking system or a steel tray system supported on steel joists. there have to be better systems than a bit of plywood for outdoor balcony arrangement.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it'd even do 3 years.

The first frost and you've broke the bond in the ply.

Then first wet summer you've swollen the wood, and it's expanding too.

So if you did it now, it'd last until maybe July next year. Might be Feb/March if we have one of those random sunny weeks then the random frosty weeks.

C

Concrete guy

You'll need planning permission if the deck is more than 30cm above ground height.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
The main issues are controlling costs as I’m very tight on budget,

doesnt seem to go with,

Instead I’m considering using 18mm ply or OSB3 for the floor surface (possibly two layers) and laying a Ditra matting type product on top of this with porcelain tiles on that.

Personally I'd be going with getting a bricky in to build me a blockwork wall and be done with it , then go from there . Without knowing exactly the situ its hard to say , but from that you'd get a more stable base imho.

Diggy

C

completehandy

The main issues are controlling costs as I’m very tight on budget,

doesnt seem to go with,

Instead I’m considering using 18mm ply or OSB3 for the floor surface (possibly two layers) and laying a Ditra matting type product on top of this with porcelain tiles on that.

Personally I'd be going with getting a bricky in to build me a blockwork wall and be done with it , then go from there . Without knowing exactly the situ its hard to say , but from that you'd get a more stable base imho.

Diggy
Thanks for the input so far.

Diggy, Not sure why you think ply + Ditra type mat & tiles would be particularly expensive. The cheapest option is probably softwood decking but it will need ongoing maintenance and can be very slipery when wet.

I've now spoken to Schuter Systems and they recommend using a ply base but making sure it's as rigid as possible. This would then be waterproofed with MAPELASTIC which should be run around the edges of the ply.

Onto this the Ditra matting is applied with the tiles on top.

I'll try to cost all this up to see if it's financially viable.

I realise I will definitely need planning permission and possibly building regs unless I can make it self supporting rather than tied to the house wall.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far.

Diggy, Not sure why you think ply + Ditra type mat & tiles would be particularly expensive. The cheapest option is probably softwood decking but it will need ongoing maintenance and can be very slipery when wet.

I've now spoken to Schuter Systems and they recommend using a ply base but making sure it's as rigid as possible. This would then be waterproofed with MAPELASTIC which should be run around the edges of the ply.

Onto this the Ditra matting is applied with the tiles on top.

I'll try to cost all this up to see if it's financially viable.

I realise I will definitely need planning permission and possibly building regs unless I can make it self supporting rather than tied to the house wall.

Try costing also with BAL Fastflex Single Part, without the ditra. One less adhesive layer and no uncoupler required then and it doesn't matter too much if there's micro-movements under it. Fastflex won't let it through like cement-based would.

O

Old Mod

A better option IMO would be the use of Ditra Drain instead of Ditra matting. If u have any water penetrate ur tiling it will run into the Ditra Drain and run away to the front of your decking.
Using Schluter profiles at the front edge it will drain straight into your guttering, whether it be regular guttering or Schluters own guttering.
Ditra Drain comes in two profiles, 4 & 8mm deep.
Obviously first tanking with the Mapelastic and Mapei Banding to seal the edges. The Ditra Drain has joining flaps (for want of a better description right now haha) for joining the matting along its joints.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Jeepers , you guys seem to be over complicating matters imho. Blockwork , concrete sub , tiles , solid as a rock.
I stand by my earlier post that all the ditra / ply / brick pillars would be more expensive , its roughly 8m² so thats 80 quid in ditra or fastflex for starters.

Anyway not trying to get into an arguement :0) .

Imho ply outside , in the sun is mucho likely to warp and Ditra or Fastflex wouldnt cover you for that.

All imho of course.

Diggy

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Jeepers , you guys seem to be over complicating matters imho. Blockwork , concrete sub , tiles , solid as a rock.
I stand by my earlier post that all the ditra / ply / brick pillars would be more expensive , its roughly 8m² so thats 80 quid in ditra or fastflex for starters.

Anyway not trying to get into an arguement :0) .

Imho ply outside , in the sun is mucho likely to warp and Ditra or Fastflex wouldnt cover you for that.

All imho of course.

Diggy

Yup. Proper outdoor construction. Beam and block maybe 20quid a square meter.

C

completehandy

Yup. Proper outdoor construction. Beam and block maybe 20quid a square meter.
I did think about block & beam but remembering there will be no supporting walls, only two columns plus the existing house wall I can't really see how they could be supported. In addition I need to be able to build this myself which is why the relatively light weight of timber beams, ply etc. was my preferred solution.

Ditra Drain was actually the recommended solution rather than Ditra Matting but I was a little concerned over costs. I was hoping to use a Ditra type mat rather than actual Dirta to help keep the costs down.

On Monday I'll have a word with both BAL & Mappi to see what they think about using either Fastflex or Mapelastic.

John.

Reply to Constructing a raised deck / balcony - advice please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks