Search the forum,

Discuss Confidence boosting course leading to NVQ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

buddha1964

Hi, a little background history before I get into questions..

My name is Paul I am 45 years old, I have been employed in the building trade for most of my adult life. For the last 7 years I have worked for my father in laws small construction firm..

My duties were to drive the all terrain forklift and dumper on site, assist in the day to day running of the site e.g keeping the site clean, accepting deliveries, collecting materials, driving machines, assisting trades men, making good and last but not least tiling..

I have tiled some 40 houses in the 7 years of my employment all 4 and 5 bedroom houses with a least 2 bathrooms and of course the kitchens, floors and walls.
I am self taught, so I know I may do some things the hard way or incorrect way. My work was to a standard that the site agent and father in law were happy with although they are not perfectionists and they were getting the job done on the cheap.. I also have carried out about 10 or so private jobs in the 7 years, walls and floors, all the customers were happy with my work..

I have now been made redundant as my father in law has retired and I am looking to start my own business in tiling with my father in laws help. I have all the tools and a van and think I am nearly ready to take the leap into self employment. I just need to be shown the correct way to set out, measure up , price up etc....

(1)I understand that as from 2010 I will need NVQ to work on sites am I correct?

(2) Which course should I be looking at attending e.g 1 week, 2 week etc?

(3) As I am aiming to get an NVQ, I understand that I need to supply evidence of employment e.g pictures and references from customers and employers and then be assessed on my practical ability over 2 days, is this correct?

(4) Could I attend a course and at the end of the course be assessed by an NVQ asser. I have all the relevant photos, references, site experience and a cscs card. Can I gain an NVQ certificate this way or not?

I am not under any illusions that I am going to set the world of tiling on fire, but 1 job a month is better than what I am doing now and its a start.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Paul

( Brilliant site by the way )

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Paul,

Welcome aboard.

Where are you based by the way?

As for the questions:-

You do need an NVQ level 2 to work on site where a CSCS card is required. Though for domestic customers it's debatable right now as there isn't any real requirement for domestics to ask for certification, like with Gas Safe etc.

I think to get through an NVQ you'll need to do a longer course. Though please do speak to at least three training centre's before booking on any. If I knew where you were based I'd recommend a couple of you.

Yes I think you're right, but again, double check with the training centre.

And the last one; you'll need to be assessed on-site for the final part of the NVQ. Though I think you can build up your portfolio and the likes partly in the training centre.

Hope this helps.

Checkout some of the other threads related to this in the training forums.

B

buddha1964

Hi Dan, thanks for the welcome and reply, I am based in North Devon so I do not think there is a lot of choices here for centres.
When you say longer course, what length do you mean?

Perhaps someone will come allong and clarify what you have said..

Thanks Again

Paul

D

Danny@ Diamond

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

What Dan has said is near spot on. The length of course you will require is really down to how much practical experience you have and although you have been tiling developments for 7 years you may not necessarily have been doing things correct for those 7 years but I am sure this isn't the case.

I would advise attending a 1 week course and then if you feel its necessary extend it for a further week, it really all depends on what you are looking to cover by the end of the course.

We are also fully accredited by the major awarding bodies and are able to conduct the on site assessments and prepare your NVQ portfolio.

If you need any advice please do not hesitate to contact a member of the team at the centre on 01903 739 407.

All the best :thumbsup:

Reply to Confidence boosting course leading to NVQ in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Hello you Pro’s out there. I am embarking on replacing my current outdoor patio concrete slabs...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen