Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Cleaning small Black and white Victorian tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Phil Robinson01

Hi guys and girls I am looking for a project over Christmas. I have these black and white tiles in the outside and inside porch. One area is 1 m2 and the other about 2m2. So not big areas.

The he advice that I am looking for is what products am I best used or clean them with, I don't have any machines just black and white pads and elbow grease.
Second bit of advice is what to the seal or polish with afterwards and also if I need to re-grout them what is the best grout to use?

thanks for your help

cheers Phil

Attachments

• image.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 22

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
l got this advice from Victorian heritage for a job l restored, first nitromorse for brick or concrete, not the paint one. Wear gloves, mask, and goggles. Scrub it in with elbow grease, do not let it dry, then rinse off with plenty of clean water, if needs be go over again. Then lithofin wexa, scrub in don't let it dry then plenty of water to clean off. Next day when its dry seal with lithofin.

lt worked a treat for me looked like a brand new floor. Hope that helps.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi phil , I would first clean back with an alkali based cleaner, we have lithofin wexa or similar perhaps ltp grimex , use stiff brushes and the white pad( let the chemical do the hard work) ours dilute 1-1 - 10-15 min scrub every 2 min then rinse.
leave several days to fully dry - ensure all moisture released- external bit may take longer

We have the kf stain stop ( others available ) this is a Matt finish impregnator that will leave the tile water and oil repellant but look as they look unsealed . No topical finishes ( shines) external , but you could put something on the internal if you want , I personally prefere to leave them with just the impregnator ,easier to maintain and no issues having a topical which can scratch in this high traffic area..

If you are grouting ( sure the guys will comment on which one best for this) impregnate first, leave 12 hrs - grout- once grout fully dry apply 2 nd coat to include new grout.

W

White Room

Hi guys and girls I am looking for a project over Christmas. I have these black and white tiles in the outside and inside porch. One area is 1 m2 and the other about 2m2. So not big areas.

The he advice that I am looking for is what products am I best used or clean them with, I don't have any machines just black and white pads and elbow grease.
Second bit of advice is what to the seal or polish with afterwards and also if I need to re-grout them what is the best grout to use?

thanks for your help

cheers Phil

Good to see pictures before and after....

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No probs Bob, l was pretty close to your application wihout the nitromorse. l did that job about 7 years ago and there was no lithofin Bob then l don't think so anyway otherwise l would have asked you. :)

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
No probs Bob, l was pretty close to your application wihout the nitromorse. l did that job about 7 years ago and there was no lithofin Bob then l don't think so anyway otherwise l would have asked you. :)

All good - Nitro morse perfect specially for the thick sealers, we used to have stain away ,similar product .

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ardex is excellent grout, my favourite is gk for solid floors but they are fazing it out and replacing it with ardex FL with a vast array of colours. Or another one l have been using is tilemaster which is a dream to work with.

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ardex is excellent grout gk is my favourite but they are fazing it out and replacing it with ardex FL with a vast array of colours, tilemaster is good, kerrakoll, or the old school option of quartz sand and cement.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Evening Phil, I'm in Mossley Hill so will happily pop by to give you a bit of advice if needed though the guys on here know what they're talking about! Deffo listen to Lithofin Bob, Lithofin products are generally spot on. I've used the cleaners and sealers for years. The only other impregnating sealer I would recommend is Dry Treat tho this is considerably dearer. As for grout, as previously mentioned, Tilemaster is superb. Biggest issue I can see there is getting the old gear out. Original geometric floors were often butted together so removing grout without damaging the tiles is a pig! To be honest and imo if you get the cleaning process right the grout is most often restored to a good level.

T

Time's Ran Out

All good especially leaving it to dry for as long as you can 48hrs + before sealing.

Reply to Cleaning small Black and white Victorian tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks