Search the forum,

Discuss Cleaning old grout off reclaimed quarry tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian C

Hello,

Long story short however I'm looking to replace the original entrance floor in my house that previous owners have wreaked.

I've found locally a supply of quarry tiles which match the existing. The top surfaces are clean however the edges have the remains of old grout on them. I obviously need to clean this off so was wondering whats peoples recommendations?

Regarding re-bedding them i was going to use a bed of semi dry sand cement with the tiles tight upto each other in a brick bond pattern as existing, is this ok or would people suggest a 1-2mm grout gap and if so what grout to use?

thanks in advance

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Light residues can be cleaned with a diluted specific acid based product and a stiff brush, if there is a full grout joint stuck to the edge , I put mine on a bench and ran a grinder up the edge and then finished off with a chemical clean.
Rinse fully and test your acidic cleaner on one tile and let dry first , to see effect.

I

Ian C

Thanks Lithofin BOB

Yes tile edges were completely grouted up so as suggested angle grinder run across them. Worked a treat.

Reply to Cleaning old grout off reclaimed quarry tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen