Search the forum,

Discuss charging for materials in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ryanbrown

When charging for materials, for a job, such as adhesive,
do you charge for the amount you use or for the full amount of materials you bought for the job regardless of how much you use?

G

grumpygrouter

If you supply meterials for a job and the customer pays for all of it, I would think that they would expect to retain title to the goods they have paid for. If you only use a tub and a half, charge a tub and a half and take the rest home. If you charge for 2 tubs, and keep half yourself, an awkward customer could be upset. In reality, unless you are stipulating in detail what you are supplying, the customer won't know, so it wouldn't really matter but the POTENTIAL is there to cause problems.

I never itemise materials, just a job lot figure.

Hope that helps.

Grumpy

F

Fekin

I charge for materials to do the job, and if theres a bit left over I leave the customer whats left, no point in taking home and cluttering up my shed, unless I had a near full tub of adhesive left, or a load or grout, then I'd stick it in the shed.

W

wivers

I ask the customer if they want to keep it. 9 times out of 10 they say you can have it.
Fekin needs a nice tidy shed though coz of all those whips and chains he's got haging up in there. I belive Leatherface is still tied up in there somewhere. :)

F

Fekin

I ask the customer if they want to keep it. 9 times out of 10 they say you can have it.
Fekin needs a nice tidy shed though coz of all those whips and chains he's got haging up in there. I belive Leatherface is still tied up in there somewhere. :)

Took me bloody long enough to get you out of it though Wivs didn't it :p

F

Fred

I always leave the gear with my clients, unless theres a good amount left, then I ask if I can take it. I never list the amount to be used, just the price.

P

Pauly

I always offer to leave it if they want it but rarely had one say they do - they are usually more than happy that you leave a nice tidy job.

I

IvegotsTILE

Bollo*ks to leaving the spare mats with the customer,goes on my next job so I don't have to shell out for the stuff again.Charge the next customer for it.

If you say use tub and a quarter you still have to pay for 2 tubs so you don't want to be charging for one and a quarter.The last 3 splashbacks I've done needed just more than one tub each so over 3 splashbacks the customers paid for 6 tubs but I only used 4,thats an extra £25 in my pocket.My customers are always happy.

They wouldn't use what we leave behind anyway and it would go to waste,if they did use it then I'm missing out on a job for them.

Reply to charging for materials in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen