Search the forum,

Discuss Ceramic tiles crazing ? Baffled ? Advise please !!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gez2312

Hi , thanks in advance for reading and replying !

Im in a bathroom fitter and I've been in the trade since leaving school , time served and about 15years experience

recently I tiled out a bathroom in ceramic high gloss tiles . Nothing out of the ordinary , used the same adhesive I always use, (ultra white flexi rapid) and tiled onto plaster walls which have been pva'd first and patched with board in some places where plaster was loose. The window reveals were a mess so I boarded them out with 6mm hardi board, I tiled as usual , wall had the usual bellys etc so adhesive was deeper in places, and if it's really deep I sometimes pack out with tiles cuts.

A few weeks later customer called and said tiles are crazing , called back , 90% of tiles had crazed on all walls !? Head scratching ! Sales rep from tile supplier came and saw and agreed faulty tiles , they were replaced and they paid me to retile (a nightmare job ! )

a few weeks later again and customer calls to say it's happening again !!!! Tile supplier now says it can't be the tiles , and refuse to even go and see the job.

im a loss as to why this has happened. Never seen it before or heard of it. Obviously don't want to leave customer unhappy , and will offer to retile again , but dont know the cause ! So do t want to waste my time and their time.

i would completely reboard room to eliminate plaster causing problem but wall is tight to door casing with room for adding (door latch nearly catches wall)

any advise would be great as I'm completely scratching my head , I've got some spare tiles and would love yo have them tested but can't find anywhere that will do it .

Ive never had an issue like this before and as I say same techniques I always use so can't see what's causing the problem

many thanks in advance for any help , hoping someone can shine a light on the situation !

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
certainly sounds like the glazing has failed ,reasons for this .

thermal shock. poor manufacturing process,

some of your methods of tiling are wrong , imo . but saying that would'nt cause this problem

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Could be that your packing out the tiles to much using rapid set adhesive....when its drying it shrinks and on cheap tiles can cause them to crack...
Walls should be prep prior to tiling so only the recommended thickness of adhesive is used..

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Morning.

what size expansion joints are at the perimeters of the tiling. .?

Also some high glazed tiles with a soft biscuit can be prone to crazing and when you use a fast set adhesive this can as mentioned above
cause glaze shock as the adhesive cures/hydrates quicker than say a dispersion or standard set cement based.

G

Gez2312

They are 400x250 white granite look tiles , 3mm grout joints . Adhesive was rapid set , but never had problems before and tiled deeper ! Have tried a massive blob of adhesive on a spare tile but nothing ! Anyone know of anywhere to have them tested ? They weren't even that cheap ! About £30 a metre ! But are just ceramic white backed horrible bent, out of shape rubbish!!

Reply to Ceramic tiles crazing ? Baffled ? Advise please !!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen