Search the forum,

Discuss brickwork style tiling... help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tony76

Hi all, i am about to start tiling my bathroom walls , and i want to tile it brickwork style, i was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on starting this,and setting out, the tile size i am useing are 361mmx276mm, and 9mm thick, and going to use a 3mm spacer, as i want to tile the floor in the same tiles to
any idea on where i should start from? i was going to start 1 tile up from the bath ( although it will be about just over 3/4 of a tile, as the bath for some reason isnt level all the way around, would this be ok, or should i start 1 tile up from the floor?
also i believe the corners can be a problem with this style of tiling,any tips about that?

many thanks

W

White Room

Have you put two of the tile faces against each other to check thay are flat and are your walls flat as well..

Hi and welcome..

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi are your tiles ceramic, porcelain? the size you are using hopefully won't cause any bowing problems, if you search the forums, looking for setting out methods. You might find some good tips, eg. making staffs, gauge sticks etc. Hope this helps, if not there are enough pro's on here to guide you through it step by step:thumbsup:

T

Sorry Mark, I should have explained my bowing remark in more detail, yours puts it in a better way ( face to face):thumbsup:

T

tony76

thanks for the advice, the tiles i am using are ceramic ( marble effect ones frome b an q!), the walls are not perfectly flat, but nothing to major i hope! i have put the sprit level againt the corners and some of them are off, tht why i am worried about the corners, and where to start tiling from

M

Mike

the walls need to be really flat to get a good finish in brick bond. as for the corners try and have a full tile go round the corner, i.e. 1/3 then 2/3 of a tile or a 1/4 then 3/4 . you should start as close to the bottom as possible to avoid working downwards.

D

Daz

As Phil has advised, there are many methods for setting out the room. The key is to find a datum both horizontally and vertically that means that you get good cuts above bath, to floor & ceiling, around windows & doors and every other "obstacle" in the room. With brickbond I always try to carry the illusion of a full tile around a corner which can mean adjusting datums many times.
Search the forum for setting out tips, and whatever you do, don't rush the setting out as it will make or break your job.

Post some pics of the room and ask questions and we'll try and guide you through.
Good luck,

Daz

T

If you centre each wall, to give a pleasing aesthetic effect, then by making a staff a piece of timber with tile joints marked on , you can set out each wall to give the best cuts. If you have a wall that is say 10mm out of plumb, and you need to start with a full and half tile.

You can find the most prominent part of the wall (top or bottom) and start your full/half tile, then scribe the rest of the cuts to suit. Hope this makes sense:thumbsup:

T

tony76

bathroom 001.jpg bathroom 002.jpg bathroom 003.jpg bathroom 004.jpg bathroom 005.jpg these are pics of it from differnt angles

Reply to brickwork style tiling... help! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen