Discuss Best Wet Cutter For Cutting Marble? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sporty

Hi guys,

I have some 305x305 marble tiles I need to cut into 10mm strips. I have a very basic wet cutter I have cut some of the tiles into. However, I'm wondering if these a wet cutter that would make lighter work of the job! I have many to cut up!

I just looked in Toptiles at wet cutters but was unsure what would be my best option. The new Rubi they have in there, as a bench, didn't seem worth the extra money. The "vertex " thing with the 750 motor......is that ok for my job?

Really unsure what to do....can anyone HELP.!

cheers
Simon

O

Old Mod

Hi Simon, Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum!

It would be kool if u could find a moment to introduce yourself to the members, and tell us a bit about you.
Are you a professions tiler, diy'er or builder?
Then we know how best to advise you with your task.
You can do that here;

Welcome Forum | New Members Say Hi Here

But if this is a one off task, maybe just hire a bridge cutter.

O

Old Mod

It's not so much about the machine Simon, but the blade.
A decent blade in a basic machine is far more effective that a cheap blade in an expensive machine.
So it's really down to splitting your budget in to two, blade and machine.

S

Sporty

Ok Fall.....so begs the question.....which blade is the best for my cheap cutter?! Lol

S

Sporty

Lol.....well I have the Virtext basic 450w wet cutter. Company provided it to me. I was wondering if up grading to the 750w Virtex is worth it. That's where I'm at moderator!

S

Spare Tool

Welcome to TF Simon, I have the 750 vitrex and for around £130 would definitely recommend it, it cuts everything I've ever needed it to, as Marc says it is as much about the blade as the machine, vitrex do various quality blades to go with the 750, and I always buy the fine cut replacement blades, but have noticed even these are sometimes a bit hit and miss and you'll get one that cuts absolutely perfect but the next one might chip porcelain a bit, found scribing first on the sigma helps with this. The replacement blades are around £30 and come with a bore reducer washer but I dare say this could be used with other blade manufacturers blades..

S

Sporty

Hi Andy

Thanks for your response.

I'm not too worried about accuracy of cut. It's more the ease of the cutting. I have a LOT of marble rods to cut! But if you think the Virtex will do the job...

What's the BEST blade I shouls use then? If indeed the one yiu buy it with isn't sufficient....

Simon

S

Spare Tool

The vitrex has a side stop so just lock that in place and all your cuts will be the same.. It comes with a standard blade but I'd buy a hi-glaze blade, get mine off fleabay for around £30. I haven't tried any other blades so can't really say if there's any better out there that will fit, infact id be interested to know myself if anyone else uses different blades in the vitrex..

S

Spare Tool

Just reread your first post and 10mm strips of marble might be a problem in any cutter as its so brittle, its easy enough to cut 10mil off a tile as waste but to keep and use the 10mm slivers might be tricky..why 10mm?

S

Sporty

Well I have already cut up some marble with my cheap and cheerful Virtex and it cut them ok, all in one piece. Just slow and had to really push the tile through!

I'm cutting them into rods then in 10mm square pieces for my Roman mosaic. A real labour of love!!!!!

S

Spare Tool

Well I have already cut up some marble with my cheap and cheerful Virtex and it cut them ok, all in one piece. Just slow and had to really push the tile through!

I'm cutting them into rods then in 10mm square pieces for my Roman mosaic. A real labour of love!!!!!
Oh ok must be decent quality marble then...sounds a right faff that, more labour than love :)

Reply to Best Wet Cutter For Cutting Marble? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks