Search the forum,

Discuss Best floor trowel to buy? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

Katie279

Am tiling kitchen floor very shortly. Has anyone got recommendations for best floor trowel types and makes?

Am laying 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles so from what I've seen a 10-15mm notched trowel is best, and rounded is better than square, but some people talk about rounded, notched ones being even better. Am confused!

S

Sean SML Tiling

I use a 13mm square but if the floor os uneven tou will need to pack. Are you a tiler?

C

charlie1

Notch size is dependant on how flat the floor is as much as how large the tile is. Place a 1.8m level across the floor and assess how large (if any) the dips / humps are. Marshal town 13mm and back buttering would be my choice if floor was reasonable (no more than 5mm deviance across 1.8 level)

K

Katie279

Nope, I'm a proud tiling virgin!

Plan to re floorboard using 18mm wbp plywood, lay 10mm marmox board, lay UFH, apply slc and then tile on this, so hopefully should be a pretty smooth surface

I

Ian

Not wishing to deter you Katie but, what you are attempting is quite a complex job for someone with no tiling experience, it could end up costing you a lot of money if it goes wrong. Have you considered getting a pro to complete the work?

C

charlie1

Nope, I'm a proud tiling virgin!

Plan to re floorboard using 18mm wbp plywood, lay 10mm marmox board, lay UFH, apply slc and then tile on this, so hopefully should be a pretty smooth surface

Katie, get a pro. ....please

K

Katie279

Heh, we'll I'm actually wanting to learn so I understand - I've been renovating a whole house, so this shouldn't hopefully be beyond me, but any help appreciated!

P

Protilers

Haaaaaa........

I love this post Katie.........you make it sound like a cakewalk........

but, lets start at the beginning....you say 18mm ply?.....is this direct to the joists? or over the floorboards?

P

Protilers

oh and I use a 10x10 square notch.......dont like 20x10 round notch anymore......not enough coverage!.......hheheheheheee

Reply to Best floor trowel to buy? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen