Search the forum,

Discuss Best Flexi grout?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonboythetiler

Hello everyone,

I've tiled a bathroom floor, in a large format porcelain tile, however im having problems with the grout cracking over time. (job done about a year ago) the joints are 2mm wide, and the grout used is bal super flex. (yes i know it should only be used on joints at least 3mm wide)

The floor has had 9mm ply put on it, primed, and had a coat of latex put over a heat mat.

do mapei have a decent flexible grout, that would be more suitable?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi jon,i would be more concerned why the grout was cracking....you may be right it may be as they say it should be 3mm minimum however 9mm ply isnt thick enough and that may be your root cause

try bal non flexi grout and mix it with gt1 admix tghis is the strongest solution i can come up with hope it works let us know

D

DHTiling

I think it might be substrate prep that is the problem here.. if you have deflection issue then the grout will crack, no matter who's brand you use.

J

jonboythetiler

I must admit im nervous of the job, when i had a look today about 6 tiles had the grout cracking around it. But not in the high traffic areas which was surprising to me. I also noticed large amounts of cracking over the skirting boards, and she said they've had a lot of building work done to the house, which maybe the cause. But i dont want replace the cracked grout with the same stuff if its only going to happen again. I do have some gt1 in the van, just dont like using the stuff!

J

jonboythetiler

Yes i tiled it last year, the couple were doing the house up at the time, new kitchen etc.....

Im normally very good when it comes to customer care, and i don't mind re-grouting the floor (10m2) as the grout i used, technically was the wrong stuff. But i would rather find the solution to the problem rather than keep going back again and again

Reaction score
Sounds like really weak subfloor you had to start with, where it's cracking rake out joints and fill them with sbr bonding agent, let it dry for a day, then grout it with flexy grout, if that will not help, then you best bet is to lift 1 tile and see the problem yourself
good luck

J

jonboythetiler

cheers for that info, can you tell us a little more about this sbr bonding agent?? exactly how do i use it?

I'm going back there Friday morning to repair the grout.

Reply to Best Flexi grout?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen