Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Skimming Prep With Pva Before Tiling (wet Areas) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Crumbs

Hi, i am looking to re tile my bathroom and have got rid of all the tiles. Unfortunately some plaster damage has occured, i want to skim the damaged areas and use PVA between skim coats.

I know using PVA is a big mistake before the tiling in a wet area, but is it okay to use PVA before a skim coat when its in a wet area (shower above a bath)?? Does the same apply or is it safe?

Much appreciated :)

R

Russel

You will need to be the judge of how much moisture it will absorb or be in contact with. Plaster looses its structure and goes soft and mooshy with allot of water contact, especially if trapped between tiles and the plaster.

If its moisture vapor thats likely to evaporate then I think the PVA should stay set. Most on here would just say use an SBR though. Most building merchants have it and tile shops.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes PVA the walls before you skim them.
Then when the plasterers has dried I would tank the walls before tiling.
Just don't use PVA as a sealer before tiling.

R

Russel

Just SBR them then use a cement based tile adhesive to float over the damaged areas.
Thats exactly what I wanted to say but thaught I would get shot down in flames on here. Tiling adhesive for repairing damaged areas and even creating thin smooth surfaces for mosaics is awesome!

C

Crumbs

Cheers lads, i wanted to keep the wall as level as can be as its meant to be easier to tile plus my tiles are under the 20kg limit so i should be good. Ill put the PVA down then before coats, wasnt sure if it was ok as everyone was pointing out how much of a mistake it is to use prior to tiling but guess the skim covers it up.

Which primer would you guys opt for Bal Acyrlic Primer or Bal SBR Bond primer? Seem pretty much the same to me apart from the SBR seems to have better water proofing properties? :rolleyes: Once you primed, do you need to tile within a period of time? much appreciated ;)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just remember not to use PVA to seal the walls before tiling . You can use any acyclic primer....if you want to waterproof the walls then you need to tank them the acylic primer will offer very little waterproofing compared to a paint on tanking kit.

T

Time's Ran Out

Thats exactly what I wanted to say but thaught I would get shot down in flames on here. Tiling adhesive for repairing damaged areas and even creating thin smooth surfaces for mosaics is awesome!

Don't you worry about any of the old farts on here!
Say what you want it's the only way to learn and they can only ban you.
By the way it's thought and it's not that awesome! And exclamation marks are my thing !
;)

C

Crumbs

Yea i got that Andy, thanks bud

I did consider tanking it but its confusing what products to buy. This is only a shower above a bath setup, would good quality water proof adhesive and grout not suffice?

Money is on the tight, i did look at the Bal WP1 but seemed just a component of a kit, could the WP1 on its own be applied, would that offer good protection? Any other products you guys could recommend? Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

I did consider tanking it but its confusing what products to buy. This is only a shower above a bath setup, would good quality water proof adhesive and grout not suffice?

Money is on the tight, i did look at the Bal WP1 but seemed just a component of a kit, could the WP1 on its own be applied, would that offer good protection? Any other products you guys could recommend? Cheers

I do, I buy a fleece from B&Q for stopping plants getting sunburned (Truth) and it costs me about £3 for something like 6 m2. Cut strips for the corners and fold onto shower tray.

L

LM

The correct advise here is to either do it correctly or don't do it at all. Gypsum skim is probably one of the worst substrates to tile on because of its limited weight tollorence, the fact that it causes chemical reactions with powdered adhesive and that its most certainly moisture sensitive. To answer your questions in this instance BAL APD is more suited to what your doing, SBR is more suited to sealing the back and edges of plywood etc. You say your budget is tight, but if you don't tank the walls your simply wasting your money long term anyway and it will end up costing you additional money to fix the damaged that will occur from not having tanked your walls. Spend the extra £50 or so and tank the walls, it'll be the best money you'll spend on this project. You also need to make sure that you've dealt with the joint between the bath and the tiles properly also. Here's some of the materials you should consider
Classi Seal ® Flexible Waterproof Upstand
Or if the bath is already fitted
All About Sealux Shower and Bath Seals for UK and Ireland
Then over lap either with this
BAL Waterproofing Kit | Tiling Products | BAL Adhesives
Hope this helps :)

C

Crumbs

Thanks alot bud for the info, much appreciated. Your right and think i will tank the walls.
Yea skim is proberly not the best idea ive had but its my 1st tiling attempt and i've been told skimming it to make a flat surface will be easier for me. My tiles are around 11kg per m sq before addy so hopefully ill be ok on the weight, if i had time where i could pull the walls down id put in tile backer boards in but its a heavily used room and i dont want my head on a plate. :eek:

I like the look of the sealux seal, where do you get yours from as i cannot find where i can actually buy it. I think thats where water got in before, the link between the bath and the tiles.
What addy / grout would you recommend Lee? prefer tubbed, Cheers

L

LM

Thanks alot bud for the info, much appreciated. Your right and think i will tank the walls.
Yea skim is proberly not the best idea ive had but its my 1st tiling attempt and i've been told skimming it to make a flat surface will be easier for me. My tiles are around 11kg per m sq before addy so hopefully ill be ok on the weight, if i had time where i could pull the walls down id put in tile backer boards in but its a heavily used room and i dont want my head on a plate. :eek:

I like the look of the sealux seal, where do you get yours from as i cannot find where i can actually buy it. I think thats where water got in before, the link between the bath and the tiles.
What addy / grout would you recommend Lee? prefer tubbed, Cheers

Online Crumbs, try this site
PVC Trade Shower Bath Trim Five Pack All UK

You can't use tubbed addy with tanking suystems, the adhesive will not cure, it would remain like it does in the tub.
Get yourself any c2 rated adhesive to be on the safe side from any reputable brand: Tilemaster setaflex and grout 3000 get good reviews on here or any BAL, Mapei powdered products etc.

Make sure you install the Sealux trims before you tank the wall though ;)

C

Crumbs

Sorry I have been away, coming back to finish this job now, thanks for the info bud, much appreciated.

I think I will go with this tanking product http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484
What do you think of this product? Can you tell me do I have to start tiling in a certain time frame once its applied?

As for the addy - I could do with one that doesn't require to be applied quickly as I am a novice to it all. I am struggling to know if bagged ones are suitable for waterproofing products or not, or are they all suitable if they are in a bag? Sorry bud for all the questions, much appreciated :rolleyes:

Reply to Bathroom Skimming Prep With Pva Before Tiling (wet Areas) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen