Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Bal PTB in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Bal PTB stone and tile on a wall?? a customer that i'm doing a job for (a fairly good size one to be fair) has already bought the adhesive from his mate at the local shop. He bought PTB for the floor i'm finishing off this week which has been fine. But now he has bought a load more for his bathroom and en-suite, both for the floor and walls. Now his mate at the shop assured him that it is fine on the walls even though it does state floors on the bag. I'm a fair way into this job so I can't just pull the plug, and I also don't want to upset the customer too much by telling him his mate is wrong (rock and a hard place and all that). What do you guy's reckon, should I use it or risk losing the rest of the job and potentially money i'm already owed?????

I

Ian

I've just read the PDF and there is no mention of being able to tile walls. Best bet is to give BAL tech a call, there number is on this PDF Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
it will be a nightmare to use it on the walls, i would ask him to change it for something more suitable...

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
it will be a nightmare to use it on the walls, i would ask him to change it for something more suitable...
I have already politely asked him to change it but he is going off what his mate at the shop said, to quote " he sells loads of it to tradesmen who use it on the walls with no problems" hence my problem.

I

Ian

I have already politely asked him to change it but he is going off what his mate at the shop said, to quote " he sells loads of it to tradesmen who use it on the walls with no problems" hence my problem.

If BAL say its no good for walls, just pass that info on. They might say just add less water so it's a bit stiffer, only guessing though, that may affect the strength.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Your a helpful sort of guy..........

I am, you asked a question, I replied politely, started with a light hearted LOL and finished with mate, the info you needed was inside of that, you then got sarcastic with me ................... I'm confused, you read the bag and it says walls only, you know PTB stands for pourable thick bed yet you want to use it on a wall, and then you have a go at me ??

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
If BAL say its no good for walls, just pass that info on. They might say just add less water so it's a bit stiffer, only guessing though, that may affect the strength.
That was my first thought to be honest Bri. I'm with you on mixing it a bit stiffer. I can't understand his mate giving him this info, he did let slip he got it cheap so that's probably why he got it as well. I will ring BAL tomorrow, how would you handle telling him without losing out?

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I am, you asked a question, I replied politely, started with a light hearted LOL and finished with mate, the info you needed was inside of that, you then got sarcastic with me ................... I'm confused, you read the bag and it says walls only, you know PTB stands for pourable thick bed yet you want to use it on a wall, and then you have a go at me ??
If you read my original post properly i don't want to use it at all, but i'm stuck being so far into the job with a customer listening to his mate at the shop and not me. I would sooner change it obviously. I just asked the question here wondering if anyone has done what i'm being asked to do with or without problems. I'm trying to get a solution to my problem without losing a load of money and work..

I

Ian

Just be honest and polite, worst case scenario, swap it for an addy of your choice and use the PTB on your next floor. I tend to find that most people appreciate the fact that you've researched your fixing materials etc. if BAL say no, surely he won't want to have his bathroom tiled with a product that might fail. I'm sure it won't fail, your problem will be getting it onto the wall! If you read the PDF, it says that after you have poured it, it needs to sit for 3 mins before troweling, if that's on a wall, I think most of it will be on the floor after 3 mins. Don't worry too much mate, wait and see what BAL say.

G

Gazzer

That was my first thought to be honest Bri. I'm with you on mixing it a bit stiffer. I can't understand his mate giving him this info, he did let slip he got it cheap so that's probably why he got it as well. I will ring BAL tomorrow, how would you handle telling him without losing out?

Print this off and ask him where it says for walls.
Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bal PTB in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks