Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss bal flex bone 2 easy in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
on sand and cement screeds you can go straight one. but with gypsum based screeds they have to be 1,5 or below as moisture can mush the gypsum this reeding is a carbide bomb test

This mushing thing is a big fat myth...

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Im still waiting for the BAL boys , lewis, simon and some other bloke, to explain why their product is so much more expensive that normal matts? Ditra and the rest are all layered matts and will be more expensive to produce tgan a single matt cut out like dog bones, with some netting glued ?
I mean i know why its more expensive, its just typical being ripped off , but the BAL lads need to just say it instead of offering us out for coffees ;(

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
were sanding to allow the hard layer on the surface to be removed as this will allow drying to happen quicker were running 4 big fans 24hrs a day to circulate the air so allowing drying faster.
the hard surface layer slows down drying as it helps retain the moisture.
Sadly the presence of laitance on anhydrite screed preventing drying is also a myth. It was disproved some 3 or 4 years ago in some independent testing that was done. the testing looked at drying anhydrite screeds specifically in both normal and force dried scenarios. It was demonstrated that removal of laitance made no difference at all. It also looked at drying in comparison to that of sand and cement screeds and found that they dried at almost exactly the same rate per mm of depth.
no evidence to show it dos not either. but air circulation dose

Air circulation most definitely improves drying of all screeds. As does increasing the temperature eg with UFH. Temperature though is almost irrelevant if there is no ventilation as theres no where for the moisture to go.

OP
J

Just Rizzle

OP
D

Dumbo

just is thought some dogs cant be taught new tricks.
Personal insult just because I have opinion . Nice , I not saying you're wrong I'm just have a more cautious approach with new products , after all bal claim, or used to claim you could tile floating floors with fast flex ,there have been a few failures with that ,but they said it Could be done.

OP
D

Dumbo

No but if there were because it is bal it would whatever the circumstances be installer error

OP
S

Spud

on a warranty and technical basis there is not international standard for the manufacture or performance of uncoupling matting , there is for crack isolation membranes so flexbone falls into uncharted territory , I was always lead to believe that all building products in the uk need to be CE marked which means they have been manufactured to an internationally recognised standard , I may be wrong or misunderstood the regulations but I thought that was the case in the UK

OP
F

Flintstone

If you use flex bone and the full bal list of products and the floor fails, do bal cover all costs or do they just refund the materials cost ?

OP
S

Subrisi

Just read these after using flexbone. In my experience I now totally agree about floor deviation. This floor was pretty flat but 2 weeks after tile there is a 'pop' when you tread in a certain area and I can see the grout beginning to crack. I'm certain it's due to a depression below on the new cabredeck floorboards. I will probably go back to Durabase ci matting next time (or similar) as the initial bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ prevents this issue. Not worth risking it to have to redo IMO.

PROS - quick, overlap joint is way better as Durabase system causes a hump.
CONS - Floor must be perfectly flat, need to lay out and leave overnight to flatten as edges try to lift otherwise even with correct sized tiles as per BAL recommendations.

A Durabase mat with a Flexbone overlap is the perfect solution I think.

OP
D

Direct

hi all has any one used this decoupling mat by BAL yet. Was talking to there REP today and am thinking about using it on a job which is getting an anhydrite screed.
there seam to be alot of advantages to using this product but need to know your views

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Is it heated and natural stone? in which case I see no reason not to. if not then its not really necessary.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've got 130m2 using flex bone later this year - the floor is anhydrite that never had the laitence removed and currently has LVT installed. I'll report back on this thread when I do it.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've got 130m2 using flex bone later this year - the floor is anhydrite that never had the laitence removed and currently has LVT installed. I'll report back on this thread when I do it.
Has the lvt failed?

Reply to bal flex bone 2 easy in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock