• Thanks for visiting TilersForums.com, the Tile Advice Forum. It's free to join if you'd like to register and ask a question should you not be able to search for your answers already. :)
uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss bal flex bone 2 easy in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

RayTheTiler

TF
Arms
Reactions
715 8
hi all has any one used this decoupling mat by BAL yet. Was talking to there REP today and am thinking about using it on a job which is getting an anhydrite screed.
there seam to be alot of advantages to using this product but need to know your views

UK Pro Tiling Training
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
S

Spare Tool

Not used it but a bit sceptical about it to be honest Ray, would imagine screed needs to be like an ice rink or your just relying on mass and gravity..whereas I'd rather rely on an spf :)

B

Blunt Tool

There are quite a few tilers around had successful installs with full backing from BAL guarantee. If chance or circumstance came up I would probably use it with guidance from BAL.

Tom Astley

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
1,960 16 1
I would use it - no different to any other loose lay decoupler.

WhenI first started, almost all tiled floors laid in sand and cement, were laid with a visqueen sheet, sat on directly and not stuck to the concrete base. (even screeded floors were laid onto visqueen)

What is the difference apart from technology with the flexbone?

hmtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,785 33
It's not a new product. It's about 15 years old. Made by Gutjahr and Ardex in Europe and the USA . Trimline sell it as a Gutjahr product

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,488 57 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
I would use it - no different to any other loose lay decoupler.

WhenI first started, almost all tiled floors laid in sand and cement, were laid with a visqueen sheet, sat on directly and not stuck to the concrete base. (even screeded floors were laid onto visqueen)

What is the difference apart from technology with the flexbone?
About 127 kg a Sqm to hold to screed to the sheet

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,488 57 1
It's not a new product. It's about 15 years old. Made by Gutjahr and Ardex in Europe and the USA . Trimline sell it as a Gutjahr product
Blasphemer. 2e is the one and only true loose lay , all the others are false loose lays . Now kneel before your true mat

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reactions
145 3
We have sold quite a lot and getting a lot of interest. Feed back from those that have fixed it is good. Screed needs to be flat with no major deviations. If fixing on gypsum/anhydrite it needs to be under 1.5% moisture content (Ditra and other de-coupling systems require less than 1%). BAL technical rep will come and visit site FOC to do a carbide moisture test. Ring BAL to arrange. Of course, we also sell the product!
Don't forget, blue side up and tape any cut length joints on floor.
BAL Flexbone 2Easy Matting - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/BAFBONE-2EASY

Localtiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
9,307 88 1
The down side in my opinion is it's BAL which means it's going to be more expensive and if you want there gaurantee which I think you would want at least for the time being atleast then you need to use there adhesive also and probably there grout. What's the benefit to you as the fitter at the end of the job? Are you better off or worse off ?

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reactions
145 3
Indicative prices ex VAT/m2 are £6.50 for Ditra, £10.99 Flexbone 2 Easy. You would save on the adhesive to stick it down and the labour cost of spreading (say £1.20 + £2.50 = £3.70). The other main benefit is the easy of spreading adhesive onto the surface, it is twice as fast, so that would be about £1.25m2 in labour. Overall this will come in with a slight overall cost saving, and a significant time saving. Post some job pictures on the installation of the month and you could win a roll to try! The costs of the new BAL One adhesives are also much more cost effective.
Equally Ditra is a great product!

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,488 57 1
We have sold quite a lot and getting a lot of interest. Feed back from those that have fixed it is good. Screed needs to be flat with no major deviations. If fixing on gypsum/anhydrite it needs to be under 1.5% moisture content (Ditra and other de-coupling systems require less than 1%). BAL technical rep will come and visit site FOC to do a carbide moisture test. Ring BAL to arrange. Of course, we also sell the product!
Don't forget, blue side up and tape any cut length joints on floor.
BAL Flexbone 2Easy Matting - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/BAFBONE-2EASY
Schluter claim they can go on anhydrate at 2% by volume

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
2,310 16
It’s ok, I doubt I will be using it again, you can tell which one is which when you tap on a bedded Matt and the flex , the flex sounds slightly hollow .
Price wise, possibly a bit cheaper, but I wouldn’t say it makes much difference.
Bloke I used it for bought it off someone called tile fix or something, was about £200 for a 10m2 roll

O

One Day

About the same £10+ equivalent in the US.
Too expensive for too little benefit I think (so far).

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
2,310 16
It’s £12 plus vat if you buy loads , bloke on my job paid £200 for 10m2 , he was trying it on a floor before he did the rest , 160 odd m2, he said it was too expensive and didn’t sound right to walk on compared to a little toilet I did in tm matting.
So he bought the tm matting, was cheaper to buy and lay than flex .
Apparently it’s been used for years like Harry said,so it must work though

hmtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,785 33
I'm speaking to someone about getting it specced with warranty using the gutjahr branded one and a different adhesive . Bal are a company I refuse to line the pockets of.

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,488 57 1
I'm speaking to someone about getting it specced with warranty using the gutjahr branded one and a different adhesive . Bal are a company I refuse to line the pockets of.
Phone up bal tell them you got 3000m to do but the architect has spruced tilemaster adhesive , will you guarantee the mat . Bet you get a different answer .

RayTheTiler

TF
Arms
Reactions
715 8
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok guys so far a lot of what i already know. the job is 220 mtrs on a newly layed anhydrite floor that is going to be sanded 5 day after laying the tiles are 900 x 600 x 20mm limestone just bought the adhesive its webber rapid grey deal at ctd today. the screed will be 3 weeks old when laying. its going down next wednesday and no ufh
what im asking is has any one experince of laying it dose it sound hollow and is there any movement that may result in grout cracking

hmtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,785 33
ok guys so far a lot of what i already know. the job is 220 mtrs on a newly layed anhydrite floor that is going to be sanded 5 day after laying the tiles are 900 x 600 x 20mm limestone just bought the adhesive its webber rapid grey deal at ctd today. the screed will be 3 weeks old when laying. its going down next wednesday and no ufh
what im asking is has any one experince of laying it dose it sound hollow and is there any movement that may result in grout cracking
Are you using flexbone on this?

Localtiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
9,307 88 1
If your using flex bone, why are you sanding ? Also after 3 weeks it will still be too wet

RayTheTiler

TF
Arms
Reactions
715 8
If your using flex bone, why are you sanding ? Also after 3 weeks it will still be too wet
were sanding to allow the hard layer on the surface to be removed as this will allow drying to happen quicker were running 4 big fans 24hrs a day to circulate the air so allowing drying faster.
the hard surface layer slows down drying as it helps retain the moisture.

RayTheTiler

TF
Arms
Reactions
715 8
I'm more concerned about sanding it 5 days after laying the tileso_O
the screediers are sanding it as part of there contract 5days after the screed is layed. stupid if sanding after tiling. i missed the full stop out.

hmtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,785 33
yes hoping to
were sanding to allow the hard layer on the surface to be removed as this will allow drying to happen quicker were running 4 big fans 24hrs a day to circulate the air so allowing drying faster.
Dehumidifiers will speed it up. Ask bal what %rh they allow with flexbone and get a hygrometer on it. Keep us posted on your findings:thumbsup:

hmtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,785 33
You like bal as much as I do then .
I had a grout issue with them recently. Totally washed their hands of it. Topps, however, paid out. Their aggressive marketing and p*** poor customer service has started to grate
Thought a forum sponsor should get the nod too

Localtiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
9,307 88 1
I think we busted that myth some time ago, no evidence to suggest that sanding aids drying. @Ajax123

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,488 57 1
I had a grout issue with them recently. Totally washed their hands of it. Topps, however, paid out. Their aggressive marketing and p*** poor customer service has started to grate
Thought a forum sponsor should get the nod too
Had exactly the same . Grout issue topps paid some money but bal said there was nothing wrong with it . I wasn't happy, customer wasn't happy with grey grout in limestone but apparently in their colour parameters . Great company , but apparently just invented a new floating decoupling membrane , just blows your mind because I've never seen anything like it before . Also next week they are inventing something called the wheel .

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reactions
835 6
Ineed it does ray. In fact the absolute key to drying calcium sulphate screeds is air movement. This should be avoided for the first 72 hours of the screeds life but after this the more ventilation the better.

Reply to bal flex bone 2 easy in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Tiling Forum

Get free wall and floor tiling advice from TilersForums.com's Tiling Forum. Both DIY and professional wall and floor tilers use this forum to make sure their tiling is spot on.

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.