Search the forum,

Discuss Anhyfix fail on ditra matting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of research on this gypsum based screed. The results are quite alarming from a lot of experienced tillers.
today I fitted (or started to)200m sq of ditra using TM anhyfix adhesive. it goes down ok but then when you push the mat into the ditra all seems good.... until you come cack to it in an hour. all it does is leace the imprint of the mesh backing on the anhyfix tile adhesive. I literally didn't need to clean the ditra!
Anyway I phoned schluter helpline and they said to use primer 3;1 then again prime 1;1 when dry and use ardex cement based adhesive to get the right adhesion to both surfaces. This would have cost me in excess of 20k to fix if id not spotted the problem.
hope this helps some guys in the future regarding anhydrite screeds.

F

Flintstone

That is good info as I have a job at the quote stage at the moment which may require ditra over anhydrite. Did they tell you the anhyfix adhesive isn't suitable ? Are you going to use cement based adhesive ? Be careful

O

Old Mod

As with a lot of adhesives, 100% adhesion is not overnight.
It begins to cure over several days.

Try it.
Stick several pieces of Ditra down and pull them up one after the other one day later than the last.
You know what I'm failing to say.

I'm not sticking up for Anhyfix, in fact I've never even used it.
But I do know that Ditra can take days before it's fully fixed to the substrate, adhesive dependant.

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Zero adhesion... I'm following schluters advice and going with the ardex. Can't remember the exact one... x7 I think. I will post the primer and adhesives tomorrow.

IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2073.JPG IMG_2074.JPG

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
3rd photo is the adhesive on the floor.
4th is the matting after it's been taken up....zero adhesion.
This could have broken me! Cos the tiles cost 8k alone

O

Old Mod

Zero adhesion. It's should be stated more that it shouldn't be used.
Try it and see what you think.
Did you read that thread that was linked?
Only read after I posted, but found it interesting.
It's difficult to comment further, two reasons,
One I haven't tried it! Haha
Secondly it would sound like I was criticising you maybe, so I won't.
And just thank you for your review Chris, every one of them are welcomed and helpful, always.

Oh, I do have occasion to use it in Aug actually, so I probably will, and I'll come back and compare! :):thumbsup:

Reply to Anhyfix fail on ditra matting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen