Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Anhyfix fail on ditra matting in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of research on this gypsum based screed. The results are quite alarming from a lot of experienced tillers.
today I fitted (or started to)200m sq of ditra using TM anhyfix adhesive. it goes down ok but then when you push the mat into the ditra all seems good.... until you come cack to it in an hour. all it does is leace the imprint of the mesh backing on the anhyfix tile adhesive. I literally didn't need to clean the ditra!
Anyway I phoned schluter helpline and they said to use primer 3;1 then again prime 1;1 when dry and use ardex cement based adhesive to get the right adhesion to both surfaces. This would have cost me in excess of 20k to fix if id not spotted the problem.
hope this helps some guys in the future regarding anhydrite screeds.

F

Flintstone

That is good info as I have a job at the quote stage at the moment which may require ditra over anhydrite. Did they tell you the anhyfix adhesive isn't suitable ? Are you going to use cement based adhesive ? Be careful

O

Old Mod

As with a lot of adhesives, 100% adhesion is not overnight.
It begins to cure over several days.

Try it.
Stick several pieces of Ditra down and pull them up one after the other one day later than the last.
You know what I'm failing to say.

I'm not sticking up for Anhyfix, in fact I've never even used it.
But I do know that Ditra can take days before it's fully fixed to the substrate, adhesive dependant.

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Zero adhesion... I'm following schluters advice and going with the ardex. Can't remember the exact one... x7 I think. I will post the primer and adhesives tomorrow.

IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2073.JPG IMG_2074.JPG

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
3rd photo is the adhesive on the floor.
4th is the matting after it's been taken up....zero adhesion.
This could have broken me! Cos the tiles cost 8k alone

O

Old Mod

Zero adhesion. It's should be stated more that it shouldn't be used.
Try it and see what you think.
Did you read that thread that was linked?
Only read after I posted, but found it interesting.
It's difficult to comment further, two reasons,
One I haven't tried it! Haha
Secondly it would sound like I was criticising you maybe, so I won't.
And just thank you for your review Chris, every one of them are welcomed and helpful, always.

Oh, I do have occasion to use it in Aug actually, so I probably will, and I'll come back and compare! :):thumbsup:

D

Dumbo

I very rarely put down ditra or dual and tile to it the same day as I learnt early on if you have to lift a tile the matting comes with it . No chance next day . Still wouldn't of worried to much as I believe ( please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Schluter first marketed ditra as a loose lay system that didn't require sticking to the background

O

Old Mod

Just like Ardex 'Jawbone' is now, it's a new product in the states.
Although it's not called 'Jawbone'here, and I'm pretty sure it's not by Ardex either!
Go figure! :p:p

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I very rarely put down ditra or dual and tile to it the same day as I learnt early on if you have to lift a tile the matting comes with it . No chance next day . Still wouldn't of worried to much as I believe ( please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) Schluter first marketed ditra as a loose lay system that didn't require sticking to the background
i do know that it needs to stick down to the floor upswing the matting as its main key, otherwise there wouldn't be any matting in on the back. That's not the issue though really, just trying to inform people about gypsum based adhesives on uncoupling membranes cos it can be expensive trying to remedy later on, especially with a new aga fitted on top haha

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Never had this issue. Seen lots of anhyfix used with and without uncoupling. Have you spoken to tilemaster aboutnit to find out what went wrong?

Reply to Anhyfix fail on ditra matting in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks