Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Alpine Tiling Closure, But Left With No Nvq. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Max@ableskills

Everything that deanotile has said is correct. ALL evidence required to gain your NVQ must be work based and not simulated.

I feel there is a bit of confusion between simulated evidence and work based evidence sometimes.

The photos that you have posted are from your training course which are usually undertaken at a training centre or sometimes a college.

These photos are from a simulated environment so cannot be used as evidence against your NVQ.

The photos of you are of tiling taken from your training course.

To gain your NVQ my suggestion would be to go onto the cskills website and look under qualifications and search for QUA850 which is NVQ level 2 wall and floor tiling certificate.

There should be a search facility telling you where your nearest centre/college is that deliver this qualification.

Hope this helps and good luck

T

The D

I must say that from an assessment point of view the pics as they are even if they was site based are not usable evidence as he is just stood next to some tiling there is nothing to lead the assessor to believe it is his work. And if you study the pics some things start to pop out that may make an assessor require further evidence.

Even site based evidence has to hit the criteria and be shown to be authentic.

J

jonrkirk

I appreciate that none of the photos can prove that I actually did the work, but I worked really hard on all of the projects that were given to me. Just so that I can learn from this experience could you let me know what things you have picked up on in the photos. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

I'm not knocking your work at all in fact the opposite.
You have to start thinking about the pics you will be taking to offer as evidence.
The things i would pick up on in the pics you have posed are more to do with what you are wearing than your tiling.
in 1,6 and 12 you have on a red t shirt in 2,7 and 8 you have a black one on in 5 and 13 it is white and you have protective glasses on your head.
For me it is things like that that say the pic was staged as you did not do all of that in one day and if it was staged was it even your work.
you have to make the assessor have no doubt in his mind that the work in the pic is yours where ever you can have pics of prep work and setting out. To an assessor a pic of a half don job with you fixing a tile or spreading the adhesive is worth more than a pic of a lovely finished job and you stood next to it.

T

The D

No I am just pointing out that it looks like those pcs was took on the same day or two or three of them was and then another two or three next time and that makes me doubt the evidence so I would have to ask for more and in order to complete the NVQ quickly with the minimum fuss the evidence needs to be beyond question. cover all the criteria you can in one pic rather than having to keep taking pics of the same task.

As I have said I am not knocking him just trying to help him see things from an assessment prospective.

J

jonrkirk

All the photos were taken over the 5 week course. And i haven't uploaded them in the correct order in which the work was done. And as for the t-shirts, i only have a few old t-shirts which i washed and used on different days in the week. I'm sure that you are not questioning whether i did the work and just pointing out how an a NVQ assessor might see it. But i thought i would explain a reasoning to your questions for other people reading this thread.

J

jonrkirk

I have been in contact with City and Guilds and today they have confirmed via email that I am no where on there system. But what concerns me the most, is that they have got no records of Gary Sheffield or Alpine Tiling as a recognized provider or assessor of City and guilds. This news has infuriated me. I don't want Tilers Forum to take this the wrong way. But I first heard about Alpine through this forum and felt as it was a Sponsor of the web site it would be a reputable company. I think this is a great web site and very helpful in many ways. But they should in future make sure that there sponsors are the real deal and not some company just trying to get your money.:thumbsdown:

M

Max@ableskills

I have been in contact with City and Guilds and today they have confirmed via email that I am no where on there system. But what concerns me the most, is that they have got no records of Gary Sheffield or Alpine Tiling as a recognized provider or assessor of City and guilds. This news has infuriated me. I don't want Tilers Forum to take this the wrong way. But I first heard about Alpine through this forum and felt as it was a Sponsor of the web site it would be a reputable company. I think this is a great web site and very helpful in many ways. But they should in future make sure that there sponsors are the real deal and not some company just trying to get your money.:thumbsdown:

If you were registered onto an NVQ it would have been with cskills (part of the citb) not city and guilds. Cskills is an alliance with city and guilds that will cease on 18th July 2013. At present city and guilds do not have anything to do with wall and floor tiling NVQs although this will change in the very near future.

So i would contact cskills and explain your situation to them.

Let us know how you get on

J

jonrkirk

Hi Max, and thanks for joining in on the thread. This afternoon I contacted C-skills and yet again it has led me to a dead end. They told me that they have got no record of me, Gary Sheffield or Alpine tiling on there system. I don't like to speak badly of the dead. But i feel really let down by Gary as he came across as a really nice and genuine guy or maybe I am just to much of a trusting person and should be more careful.
An expensive lesson:frown5:

T

The D

I called Oliver from C skills my self today to see if he could find out what was going on but he said the same thing Alpine was not an approved centre.

I know you are feeling a bit had in the bag at the moment but the money you have paid was in line with what people are paying for basic training and that is what you got.

The problem as I see it is that private centres should be stopped from advertising there (training courses) as a root to the NVQ qualification. It is confusing and misleading. People are being led to believe they can go from being a novice and do a six week tiling course and they will get an NVQ2 this is untrue no mater how much spin is put on it.

There was a centre a few year back that was doing this but they was shut down and investigated for fraud.

J

jonrkirk

I called Oliver from C skills my self today to see if he could find out what was going on but he said the same thing Alpine was not an approved centre.

I know you are feeling a bit had in the bag at the moment but the money you have paid was in line with what people are paying for basic training and that is what you got.

The problem as I see it is that private centres should be stopped from advertising there (training courses) as a root to the NVQ qualification. It is confusing and misleading. People are being led to believe they can go from being a novice and do a six week tiling course and they will get an NVQ2 this is untrue no mater how much spin is put on it.

There was a centre a few year back that was doing this but they was shut down and investigated for fraud.

Deanotile I really appreciate it, how much you have gone out of your way to help. Just goes to show that there are still some decent people out there. :thumbsup:

M

Max@ableskills

Hi Max, and thanks for joining in on the thread. This afternoon I contacted C-skills and yet again it has led me to a dead end. They told me that they have got no record of me, Gary Sheffield or Alpine tiling on there system. I don't like to speak badly of the dead. But i feel really let down by Gary as he came across as a really nice and genuine guy or maybe I am just to much of a trusting person and should be more careful.
An expensive lesson:frown5:

Sorry to hear that.

In the past we have had a few former trainees from alpine here to gain the nvq which tells me that it was probably something that they never offered.

One of the guys (who is a forum member) gained his NVQ via the EWPA route as he could demonstrate that he had been working within the industry for over 5 years.

Reply to Alpine Tiling Closure, But Left With No Nvq. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks