Discuss AKW Wetroom disaster in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
So can you lift a tile in the dry area? This will tell you if the water has leaked into this area and probably warped the ply causing your loose tiles.

The grout lines are not your problem to be causing the leaks, it is what is going on under it, i think @impish is probably bang on and your tanking liquid has de bonded from the tray taking the tiles with it. You haven't mentioned adding a membrane this time which is the main advice being given so add that to your list. Remove the 12mm ply and replace with a backer board something like 12mm Jackoboard which is waterproof also. CTD sell it if you have one close and for the size of area you need you won't be spending much more than ply.

Paul is also correct that you will most likely need to remove the first row of tiles as all the taping/tanking seals will most likely be destroyed during removal so it would be best practise to do up to this row again.

You can do the mosaics no problem but yeah go for Epoxy, belt and braces this time!

Reaction score
Its a hard one to put numbers or a remedy to, I would think that once the floor tiles have been removed, the tanking system may well be compromised, or at the very least its life span shortened. I also would look at removing the first course of wall tiles. Once removed, carefully inspect the system, if you are happy do a flood test for 24 hours, if you are lucky, and all you Christmases come in with the Derby winner go for it. If there is movement on the outer floor, strip it out and go again, Dont skimp, you have been there now. In fairness I would not expect the tiler to be responsible for all this work though.
How about the mosaic tiles. I’d like to use the same glass tiles as used for a centre strip on the wall in the shower. The manufacturer has recommended against this as it has some metal tiles in it. I was thinking of removing them and replacing with the same glass.
I’m almost at the stage where I’d rather pay someone else whose fitted these wet rooms to do it for me.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
You are going to have to accept a large part of the blame here yourself, yes the tiler should have perhaps looked into it in more depth but he probably accepted the information being passed to him was fact as it was his first installation and you fed him that information. He womt be doing that again i bet. Twice you have went against what AKH recommended, firstly not following the membrane instructions and then secondly painting the whole tray after AKH saying to only use it on the joints. All this on the back of what a guy at a DIY store sold you and told you what to do. it probably sounds harsh but it is the main facts that have probably led to this

Personally i would avoid glass on a floor.

Reaction score
You are going to have to accept a large part of the blame here yourself, yes the tiler should have perhaps looked into it in more depth but he probably accepted the information being passed to him was fact as it was his first installation and you fed him that information. Twice you have went against what AKH recommended, firstly not following the membrane instructions and then secondly painting the whole tray after AKH saying to only use it on the joints. All this on the back of what a guy at a DIY store sold you and told you what to do. it probably sounds harsh but it is the main facts that have probably led to this

Personally i would avoid glass on a floor.
Thanks Tony. Yes I do accept responsibility jointly with the tiler. I’ve known the owner of the Diy store for 30 years and always trusted him. I think the main mistake was using a tiler who’d Never done a wetroom before.

Reaction score
Just had a chat with Norcros and he said it should never have been used on the tray for tanking. It’s only designed for plasterboard and plaster and ply.

Reaction score
The moral of this story is ONLY EVER USE THE ONE SUPPLIER FOR YOUR WETROOM KITS! Sorry but I spend all my time on these forums just repeating myself. What do you think is going to happen if something goes wrong? They will either blame each other's products or worse , you!

Reply to AKW Wetroom disaster in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks