Search the forum,

Discuss Advice to an Apprentice. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TJ Smiler

Knee pads and quality dust mask..........It really doesn't make you a 'Hard Nut' to not use either.

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Have to disagree with the travelling time,people who work in asda generally live close to work,am doing 130 miles a day I give the boss two hours in the morning he gives me two hours in the afternoon,or I simply wouldn't travel that far.:)

But if you're honest that's the decision you make. You don't have to travel, there is no gun to your head. You could find more local work or drop your price accordingly to find the local work...or work at your local Asda/Tesco/Etc.

I'm lucky that most of my projects are localish to me but when I do have to travel I have to weigh up if the jobs worth it or not. I can't add the travelling cost to the quote of or I would loose the job. Therefore the apprentice/labourer can't charge me for travelling time to get to the job. It all comes down to do I/he want the job and most importantly how quickly I/we can get it done and sometimes that means working until 6/7. I've just done a job where the drive was 80 minutes each way. It was for a builder I do lots of work for so I had to either upset the builder by charging extra and risk the contract or swallow on the travelling times/cost. The labourer didn't agree so he had the week off unpaid.

You have to weigh it up/look at the bigger picture and make the decision. Everyone has different guidelines and commitments

T

Time's Ran Out

I started a seperate thread 'travelling time'.

Keep this thread for advice to an Apprentice.

W

White Room

As said dust masks are paramount...in my young days on site guys would be cutting asbestos sheets anywhere..

T

Time's Ran Out

Get used to wearing toe cap protected footwear!
You won't be allowed on the buildings in trainers.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A tiling job should always look as good un- grouted as it dose grouted...
Thats what my boss always said to me and he always made a point of looking at my tiling before grouting it gets you out of the ' that will look ok when its grouted' habit....especially when it comes to awkward cuts..:thumbsup:

M

mike1979

Learn to make a good cup of tea and don't tell me to @&£( off when asked what's that supposed to be
in all seriousness tho ask lots of questions, get stuck in and enjoy learning

Reply to Advice to an Apprentice. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen