Search the forum,

Discuss Advice to an Apprentice. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mike1979

A tiling job should always look as good un- grouted as it dose grouted...
Thats what my boss always said to me and he always made a point of looking at my tiling before grouting it gets you out of the ' that will look ok when its grouted' habit....especially when it comes to awkward cuts..:thumbsup:
I worked with a bloke once who said grouting hides a lot of sins and I replied you my friend are going straight to hell

T

Time's Ran Out

On the same subject - badly grouted tiling can ruin a good job!
I know many time served Tilers who only grouted and did the cuts for months at the start.

O

Old Mod

On the same subject - badly grouted tiling can ruin a good job!
I know many time served Tilers who only grouted and did the cuts for months at the start.

Yep! That's how I started and I wasn't even on a recognised apprenticeship!
But the best bit of advice given to me, or should I say drilled into me was "put those bloody knee pads on!" A day doesn't go by now where I don't wear them! If I don't have them with me and can't get some more there and then, I go home! It's such a habit now that even if I'm doin a job at home (non. Tiling work) I still have to wear them. Feel naked without them! Always wear my steels, but glasses I struggle with, mainly I think cos I wear spectacles anyway. (Short sighted, in more ways than one haha)
learn your 3/4/5
ask questions all the time
NEVER MAKE ASSUMPTIONS!
Do as u've been asked no matter how stupid it appears, there's usually a good reason behind it. (Even if it is to amuse others!) :lol:
Keep urself clean, (massive pet hate of mine is seeing Tilers covered in addy, no need, use a bloody sponge and towel to keep hands clean!) which will in turn teach you to keep your kit clean and your tools will last much longer.
Where possible learn how to work WITHOUT power tools first, before using labour saving devices like lasers and grinders. (Wet cutters are permissible!) :smilewinkgrin:
Respect your power tools and they will serve you well. (Or I'll make you do everything manually)
Be punctual and polite.
Respect your elders (that's me!) haha
Above all respect not only the client but their property too, especially if it's their home!!
I think that would cover the first day!

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

..... Oh yeah one more thing:
Wear latex gloves, ALWAYS!, wish I had. Can't work without them now. If I do my fingers split wide open and they become so painful I can't even put them under the shower cos the pressure of the water jets make them scream for mercy!

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alan M

years ago when I was younger and stupid I used to never wear gloves.
my hands were split most days from the skim and cement.
the way I learned to fix them was to use savalon and moisturiser. cover your hands in it , put on disposable gloves and squirt in some moisturiser. then go to bed

W

White Room

Start a pension as soon as possible, there'll be nothing left in the goverment pot when he/she retires.

T

TJ Smiler

Learn how to be self-employed. There is a whole lot of difference between doing this right and doing it the way think, its not just simply give a customer a price and then do the job. Learning the proper way how to run YOUR small business could save and earn you thousands, will help you get established and will make you business savvy to have a good profitable future.

And as Whitbeam says, deffinately start a pension.

Reply to Advice to an Apprentice. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen