Search the forum,

Discuss advice requested for bathroom project in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

thegen

My bathroom renovation has started and the plan is to have a tiled shower area in one corner of the room with a linear drain. I'd appreciate some advice as to whether we're going about it the right way. My builders will be doing the job, specifically a plumber and a tiler in the team.

It's a 6th floor flat with a concrete floor with around 50mm of screed on top. The shower area is 1600x900mm and this has had the screed removed.

The main issue we have is the height of the waste pipe because this joins the shared stack at around floor level or slightly below it. The installers said this couldn't be changed and since the join is around 2m away the shower waste outlet needs to be approx 20mm above floor level to provide a suitable gradient.

They suggested we use a low profile trap so I bought a Purus living linear kit which has a 22mm height tray, a low level channel drain (50-60mm in height) and an 8sqm granfix tanking kit.

The installers suggested the bathroom floor would be around 30-40mm higher than the hallway if I want the shower to be level access. That sounds fine to me if correct but any more than a 50mm step and I'd prefer to raise the shower area instead of the whole bathroom. My rough calculation says the max height of the tiled shower area will be around 105mm above floor level, i.e. waste pipe (20mm) + trap height (60mm) + tray gradient (10mm) + ad (5mm) + tile (10mm). The hallway will have 50mm screed + 5mm underlay + 15-20mm of wood so 70-80mm overall. So max 40mm step up into bathroom sounds about right to me. Any thoughts as to whether this is a good approximation?

In terms of tanking, we are using marmox boards, 12.5mm for walls and 20mm for the floor. Joins, corners etc will be taped up so as far as I can see, there is no need to use the liquid membrane. The reason for using 20mm boards is to raise the bathroom floor to be level with the shower. I believe the floor will have some slc put on to the screed for levelling purposes, followed by 20mm of marmox, then the UFH mat and finally the ad+tiles.

One of the walls around the shower is a new 900mm stud wall with the shower concealed behind it. The other two walls are internal breezeblock types. The plan is to use the 12.5 marmox boards, tape the joins and tile straight onto that. Does that sound like a sensible plan?

I have a few specific questions that knowledgeable folkls might be able to help with:

Is the tanking method sensible, i.e. relying on the waterproof nature of the the boards/tray and sealing all joins with tape?

The tray height is going to be slightly higher than the boards on the floor next to it (to allow for UFH). Is it OK to tape the join by stepping from one height down to the other?

How should the boards be attached to the walls? I guess for the stud wall they will be screwed in to the studs. How about the breezeblock walls?

What surfaces need priming and what primer should be used?

What adhesives should be used to fix the tray and the boards?

I am intending to use 50x50mm polished porcelain mosaics for the shower floor. Do I need to be concerned about the rigidity of the tray? It's basically a foam/cement sandwich.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

T

thegen

This is now under way and I think we're on track. Floor levels look OK, about 25-30mm step up into the bathroom which I'm OK with.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that the installers have sandwiched the tanking tape on the board joints with Mapei Keraquick. I was under the impression that the tanking gum should be used for this. Should I ask them to apply a layer of gum on the top?

Also, is polished porcelain for the floor a crazy idea? Away from shower tray that is. I don't recall a problem when I had them in a flat I was staying in in Australia a while back. I could find a matching matt tile instead but wouldn't polished walls and matt floor look pretty odd?

D

DHTiling

I have done few polished for in bathrooms , as long as you know they can be slippy , then the choice is yours.

As for the tape , then it won't hurt if it gives you peace if mind.

T

thegen

Thanks for the tips, I've gone with some very nice semi-polished tile called Cementi Perla / Marengo. Much less slippy and still has a nice sheen to it.

Reply to advice requested for bathroom project in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I need some advice please. I recently had a contractor in to remodel my bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen