Search the forum,

Discuss advice on tiling inside a shower cubicle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevepmc2214

Hi im looking at fitting a shower cubicle at the weekend and the mrs only wants tiles inside the cubicle.
The walls are brick with plaster and have already been painted in a bathroom suitable paint.
Do i need to prep the wall at all before i start tiling?
Would you fit the enclosure and the tile up to the edges or fit the enclosure on top of the tiles?
the mrs is adamant that she doesn't want any tiles outside the enclosure ( i did try to convince her to tile the whole wall!)

Any advice would be most welcome

afright

TF
Reaction score
Hi it would be far easier to tile before the enclosure is fitted just mark where the enclosure finishes and tile to that line,but before you start you must remove all the paint back to the plaster by sanding and keying the surface then finish with a primer I always use SBR.:thumbsup:

S

stevepmc2214

Thanks for your speedy response.
Why does the paint have to come off? Is it due to the adhesive not sticking because of the waterproof coating of the paint?
I'm not going to be very popular sanding in her new bathroom suite! Hehe

B

Bubblecraft

Hi & Welcome to TF. As above. Tile to the edge of the outside of where the enclosure will be & fit enclosure afterwards. You will have to sand back the paint & prime with an SBR primer.

afright

TF
Reaction score
If you do not remove the paint the tiles will only be adhered to the paint and in time this will fail with the weight of the tiles if you are going tile do it right the first time.

Reply to advice on tiling inside a shower cubicle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen