Discuss Advice on Max weight tiles for plasterboard and will Ply over the top help? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

McDogger

Guys hope you can help I am looking to tile my bathroom and the wife wants 10mm procelain that weigh about 25 kg per M2, I live in a new build house (4years old) and all the walls are internal platerboard cavity metal stud. ive been told that the max load for this should be 32 kg per M2 but the tiler I am looking to use has suggested plying over the top with 9 mm ply and screwing that through the plasterboard and into the metal to stud to give extra support can anyone confirm if this is good advice?

Also the wall area is around 20 M2 so the tile weight will be almost half a ton this sounds huge to me can anyone advise???

Thanks for your help.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi dogger i would advise against any plywood being installed on walls

a cement backer board such as hardi backer or knauf backer board is the route i would go or plasterboard will no doubt also be fine as it will come within weight limits just

M

McDogger

I am concerned that the plasterbpard may have been skimmed so would reduce to 20kg per M2

if i was to use hardi backer or knauf backer would you attach this over the plasterboard or take the plaster board down first?

Also what is the cost of this in comparison to ply and why would you use instead of ply?

Thanks for the reply

D

doug boardley

I'd strip it out and reline with hardiebacker 500, it'll be the same thickness as your existing plasterboard, which I'm guessing has been skimmed (which reduces the load bearing capacity to 20kg/m2)

D

doug boardley

I am concerned that the plasterbpard may have been skimmed so would reduce to 20kg per M2

if i was to use hardi backer or knauf backer would you attach this over the plasterboard or take the plaster board down first?

Also what is the cost of this in comparison to ply and why would you use instead of ply?

Thanks for the reply
ply isn't a good substrate to tile onto for a variety of resons,,,delamination, thermal expansion etc..

M

McDogger

if i was to use hardi backer or knauf backer would you attach this over the plasterboard or take the plaster board down first? Or would u suggest something else other than ply?

S

Stef

Why not take the walls down, re sheet with moisture resistant plasterboard & then tank (waterproof) the wet areas.

Its not too hard a job, you already have the stud work in place.

D

DHTiling

I replied to your other post, as long as the PB isn't skimmed then tile it as it is.. do not use ply , it holds less weight and is subject to thermal and humidity expansion issues..

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
could you not board over the plasterboards with 6mm hardibacker,saves ripping it out ? i get 6mm 1500x 900 hardibacker for £12.50 a sheet from TP.
and im with everyone else,ply is a no no

T

trevortine

This existing plasterboard should be removed, if it aint skimmed then its surely been painted, strip it out replace with new, will take around a day to a competent novice.

Reply to Advice on Max weight tiles for plasterboard and will Ply over the top help? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay