Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on how level and fix Tuff2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

nbk

Hi All,

Been renovating my house for the last four years and have nearly got around to doing the bathrooms!!!

Just wanted some advice on my approach to installing the Tuff2 former...

The problem i have is that the joists the former will be sitting on are not level and to make things worse are also twisted. I spent the best part of the weekend trying the level these but still haven’t got there yet so I've decided on a different approach. I thought it would be easier to screw down some 9.5mm ply, seal and level using slc (fball 700), then place the tuff2 former over the levelled floor and screw it down along the joists.

The reason I want to use the 9.5mm ply is that head height is an issue!!

I guess my main questions are

1. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?
2. Should only the perimeter of the tuff2 former be screwed? or can i also screw in the middle of it as well? (screwing down along the joists)
3. What is the best way to cut the former? Jigsaw? What type of blade should I be using?
4. What tolerance should I be looking to achieve in terms of the "level ness" of the former?

Hopes this makes sense

Cheers
Ab

W

White Room

Screw just the perimeter, it should have holes pre drilled...

I cut one with a brand new saw, jig saw maybe better but it's tough old stuff to cut....

I'd be getting it as level as possible...

N

nbk

Thanks whitebeam

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why I should only screw around the perimeter?

Your right about it being tuff stuff (pardon the pun). I cut a small corner section out using a jigsaw with a brand new blade... completely blunt afterwards!!!!

N

nbk

Thanks.... guess that makes sense :)

I'm off tomorrow to get the fball stopgap 700 flex. Never mixed, poured and levelled slc before so I'm feeling a little anxious. Any comments/tips about my general approach?

W

White Room

Never used that one, just follow manufacturers instructions and you should be ok............

Having a eletric mixer will help and pour the powder into the liquid gradually and mix, not all at once otherwise there will lumps galore

N

nbk

Thanks for the tip whitebeam... been doing a lot of reading around slc... and as it turns out I didn't get around to mixing/pouring yet which is handy because I really wanted to use a spiked roller!!!

I underestimated the amount of prep work I had to do too (being a diyer). In the end I put in as many noggins as I thought sensible and covered with 12.5mm ply. The plan now is to build a strip to the right of the shower former to a similar level seal and pour the slc. Unfortunately this will probably have to wait as I need to dot and dab some wall furring downstairs first!!!

Anyway I have attached a few pictures, for those of you who may be interested :) Please feel free to comment!!

CRW_7119_1.jpg CRW_7118_1.jpg CRW_7125_1.jpg CRW_7122_1.jpg CRW_7124_1.jpg CRW_7117_1.jpg CRW_7123_1.jpg CRW_7116_1.jpg

BTW... I still haven't started downstairs hence the very tasteful velvet wallpaper!!! :)

N

nbk

The plan is for it to sit directly on the ply (spanning the joists underneath at the same time). At the moment the ply is not completely flat (bowing slightly in places where I have screwed it down to the joists/noggins). Once the slc goes down it should sit perfectly flat... which is the theory anyway :)

Why the question? Is there a fundamental flaw in my approach?

Reply to Advice on how level and fix Tuff2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen