Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DaveM

@3_fall OK thanks mate. I was planning on tiling just below the bath, maybe 6 inches as the walls are nice and square, and the bath is slightly shorter than the distance between the walls by maybe 20mm. So you reckon keep a grout line away from the line of the bath? Would say a half tile's worth be ok?

I'm putting a false ceiling in using batons, upvc cladding and some downlighters. I was going to to it after I tile and attach the battens to the tiles. You can't see it in the photo, but at the window wall end of the bathroom, there's a 45 degree slope in the ceiling at that end where the eaves are and the plan is to drop the ceiling to get rid of that. It still leaves plenty of headroom above when stood in bath.

And yes, that last bit was confusing haha :)

O

Old Mod

No no, all I meant was it notices if the cut around the bath is very small and it also becomes a weak point because when u fit a small slip like that u increase the chances of it not getting full coverage on tile.
But if you're going to tile from below bath with a full tile then no problem. Although u can improve water integrity within the bath by cutting down on to it.
You're relying solely on a silicone joint otherwise to prevent moisture ingress between wall and bath.
If u cut down onto it, u can install something like this between wal and bath first which will give u 100% leak free bath, if installed correctly.
These are excellent.
Classi Seal Flexible Waterproof Self-Adhesive Upstand - 2M - https://www.rubberduckbathrooms.co.uk/classi-seal-flexible-waterproof-tile-upstand-2m?source=googlebase&kw=&fl=1000&ci=84361459935&network=pla&gclid=CK6J75XQ0s0CFasV0wodNXwFCg

imagine u draw a centre line on the wall perpendicular to your bath.
U start a tile either side of this line and work towards the corner. When u get to the corner u are left with 100mm cut, not desirable if the tiles are 500mm long!
So instead straddle the line with the tile. 250 each side. Now your cut will be 100 + 250 ...350mm much more acceptable.

D

DaveM

No no, all I meant was it notices if the cut around the bath is very small and it also becomes a weak point because when u fit a small slip like that u increase the chances of it not getting full coverage on tile.
But if you're going to tile from below bath with a full tile then no problem. Although u can improve water integrity within the bath by cutting down on to it.
You're relying solely on a silicone joint otherwise to prevent moisture ingress between wall and bath.
If u cut down onto it, u can install something like this between wal and bath first which will give u 100% leak free bath, if installed correctly.
These are excellent.
Classi Seal Flexible Waterproof Self-Adhesive Upstand - 2M - https://www.rubberduckbathrooms.co.uk/classi-seal-flexible-waterproof-tile-upstand-2m?source=googlebase&kw=&fl=1000&ci=84361459935&network=pla&gclid=CK6J75XQ0s0CFasV0wodNXwFCg

imagine u draw a centre line on the wall perpendicular to your bath.
U start a tile either side of this line and work towards the corner. When u get to the corner u are left with 100mm cut, not desirable if the tiles are 500mm long!
So instead straddle the line with the tile. 250 each side. Now your cut will be 100 + 250 ...350mm much more acceptable.

Ah I get it now, thanks :)

So that window and the bath need to be balanced out so the cuts aren't small. Got it. Thanks again mate, much appreciated!

D

DaveM

Back again! I'm setting out and if I get the window with equal pieces, it leaves a smallish cut right at the bottom near the floor of about 5cm. Is a 5cm piece at the very bottom acceptable? If I go either way, up or down, the window is out.

Left to right is OK .

Thanks.

D

DaveM

It's even less with that, I was looking at just vinyl flooring and some plywood, so 15mm tops?

Cheers!

Reply to Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen