Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DaveM

Thanks, I've just done that and if you push down on one side, the other side lifts up by a few mm. Would a tile leveling kit help with this?

S

Stef

It's not a very big tile to try & pull with clips. Sit the tiles face to face & you will see how much they are out.
There's a lot of tiles like that out there, stack them & it won't be as noticeable.

D

DaveM

Thanks.

OK, so if I put 2 tiles face to face and grip at one end and hold up to the light, there's a 3-4mm gap. But, if I gently push the gap together while holding the other end together, the gap closes, they seem quite flexible. Does that mean I could fix the bend with the levelers?

W

WetSaw

The idea of the levelling systems is to get the edges of the tiles perfectly flat, not to try to bend them into shape. As Stef says, changing from brick bond ( which is sooo last year darling..) to stacked will reduce the problem considerably.

F

Flintstone

If the tiles are curved and your going brick bond, your gonna have problems no may get what you do. I would stack them. Dare I ask, are they cheap tiles off the internet?

You can get a product called mosaic mesh, I use this when doing any mosaic strips. Gives them some rigidity and stops them moving about.

D

DaveM

The only problem I have is that the Mrs really wants the brick pattern, but she understands that she will have to wait to get new tiles to have it. I could live with them stacked.

As for cheap, not the cheapest, but around 20 a sq/m. Wickes replica they are called. There were a couple of reviews stating that they had bowed tiles, but I wrongly assumed it was just a bad batch.

@Localtiler I saw a vid on youtube where a tiler applied the adhesive to some stuff that he called membrane, then pressed the mosaic onto that, and then left it to harden and then cut the mosaic into strips and stuck them on the wall. is that what you mean? Thanks for the info!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Stack'em Dave M - listen to the pros! We see the trends and can confirm half bond is going out of fashion.
If the Mrs is insistent then you could compromise and put them on the 3/4 bond. This will also reduce the problems caused by the bowed tiles somewhat.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
20160705_160422.jpg
To get over the difference in thickness of the tiles and the mosaics you can introduce a bit of bling to your bathroom. In the above picture I have tiled a shower with a large tile, then a 10mm chrome trim, then the mosaics, then a 10mm chrome trim and then a large tile. The picture may be a little fuzzy as camera flash is bouncing off the chrome trim. The mosaics are recessed by a couple of mm, but the trim hides the sides of the large tile.

Good luck.

Reply to Advice Needed On Using Mosaic And Large Format Wall Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen