Search the forum,

Discuss Advice about a tile installation 600 x300 problems, help what do I do next? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gareth.J.King

Hi I'm new to this forum.

Today our bathroom tiling was completed by our tiler all grouted etc, basically today I questioned the workmanship as I pointed out some raised edges in the shower area, I was told by our tiler that this was due to the tile being bent???, I bit my lip & I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure if tiles could or couldn't be bent & after reading some of threads on this forum it appears that this could be the case that some 600 x300 porcelain tiles laid in a brick style may bend causing an effect called lipping due to the incorrect storage or the firing process of tile when being made, we stored the tiles as per the recommendations on the box.
I'm a little disappointed that our tiler never warned me about this lipping effect or more importantly pointed this out to us during the installation so that I/we could take back the effect tiles & source another tile/tiles.

So my question is what do I do next/now? we're not happy with the finish as the raised edges just stands out mile see the picture below & I think the mould will build up on those high edges as it is the shower area, it appears that I can't take the effected tiles back to the shop as they are on wall now...What do we do?....I've attached a picture below am I being picky?

Any advice or tips would be great, many thanks Gareth.

. photo.jpg

W

White Room

Hi and welcome..

If the tiles are bowed these should have been checked before fixing by the tiler and he should have informed you of the problem so you could have made a decision to return them, did you not see the problem before your fixer had finished the tiling..

G

Gareth.J.King

Hi - thanks for the quick reply guys, no we didn't notice that the tiles had a defect, we left the tiles in the boxes & packing in our garage & let the tiler fit them as & when he needed them, I never even thought I would have to check the tiles for myself if I wasn't fitting them & if I'm honest I wouldn't of really known what I was looking for (well I know now today) I would of thought the tiler would of known this and checked & raised any issues with the tiles to us, its a case of we've been at work all day & left our key with tiler as he's very trust worthy & this is the situation we've come back to we just thought it was an odd thing.

Is there a fix or workaround? like removing the effected tiles & replacing them with new ones like for like or something? I guess its not that straight forward? Sorry my DIY knowledge & skills are limited hence why we got somebody in to fit the new bathroom & tiles.

Thanks again.

D

Daz

I've had 2 bathrooms in 2 weeks that have involved 600 x 300 tiles where the client has asked for the tiles to be fixed in a brickbond pattern. In both cases I have had to demonstrate to the clients that it will not be possible. Fortunately, the tiles have had a consistent warp so I have been able to fix them in a straight set and the jobs looked fine, resulting in happy clients for me :thumbsup:.

Your tiler should have pointed out the errors prior to fixing, so he is at fault, IMO.

Unfortunately, large format warped tiles appear to be more common than ever so it is more important than ever for the tiler to inspect the tiles prior to fixing.

Good luck,

Daz

W

White Room

There is no quick fix, theres a good chance that all will be bowed...do a quick check on a few tiles to check how much there bowed by putting something that is flat on the length of the tile surface, that would be a good indication.

T

Time's Ran Out

:oops: If he replied that the tiles were bent then he was aware of the issue while undertaking the work, and he should not have therefore fixed them in a brickbond design! A professional tiler with any pride in his workmanship would have informed you of his concern as to the suitability of the materials to your required design and given you the option of a stacked 'set out' thus overcoming the bowed nature of said material. Was this work completed in the same day? (ie tiled and grouted). What type of adhesive did he use (Bagged cement based/tubbed ready mixed), and what was the substrate that the tiles were fixed to (skimmed plaster/plasterboard/other)?
Unfortunately I can see only 2 options - remove the lot (hence my questions) or live with it!:yikes:

T

tactile

Admitedly, as a tiler Ive brick bonded 60x30 tiles before that have been bowed, its not even 1mm difference and you cant even feel it when sliding your hands over ,its not until you get the grout in that you see a small shadow in places that there shouldnt be.

Your right, it is the tilers fault, and these tiles are more common now, especially from DIY stores (B&Q. Homebase. Wicks etc).

D

DHTiling

Do you have any tiles left..?

If so, then put 2 tiles face to face and then see if the rock, this will show up any bowing.. i have not seen them that bowed to leave lippage like that... also one of those horizontal joints does not line up .:)...

As above your tiler should have pointed this issue out and nt just gone ahead and tiling without consulting you.

D

d noulton

a local tile shop i use has stoped displaying tiles as brickbond for the same reason
having said that the tiler should have advised you

Reply to Advice about a tile installation 600 x300 problems, help what do I do next? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen