Search the forum,

Discuss Accept or reject job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

thomashenry

Builder/Plumber you say?
I don't mean to be rude, I understand your predicament - honestly, we see it every week.
But why don't people choose say a Handyman/hairdresser to do the service on their car?
Or a window cleaner/dogwalker to decorate the lounge?

Builders and plumbers should stick to what they are (allegedly) qualified to do: Bricks and pipes.

Builder/plumber - well it's a small building company that claims to do complete jobs, and has lots of good feedback on mybuilder etc. Their quote was inline with the others I got.

Two different guys have been involved in doing different aspects. Problem is the guy they used for tiling obviously isn't a skilled or experienced tiler. Normally, as a keen DIYer, I'd have tackled this job by doing parts myself (labouring, carpentry and joinery), and then calling in specific trades for specific aspects (plumber for pipes, tiler, plasterer). That would have taken longer, and does come with its own difficulties, and my other half was keen to just "pay someone to get it all done",.... so I went down the "turnkey" route.

Hasn't been a *totally* negative experience, other aspects of the job have been done well, and they've not been difficult to deal with. After three attempts, the first two of which I rejected, they did eventually manage a good job tiling the three outer corners in the room.

15mm gap at bottom has now been filled by cutting 10mm strips from the wall tiles. Gap underneath of a few mm to be filled with silicone later. As the tiles are matt white, and the grout is white - it looks ok. I'm satisfied with this mitigation.

Top of wall is still an issue. I'm going to get them to put up another layer of plasterboard on the ceiling to lower it. Will eliminate that unsightly grout filled gap.

I totally get what people say about refusing the job and having it all done again..... but right now the hassle of doing that seems overwhelming.

Will try and get pics later from my other half's phone.

Safe to say that I won't be taking this approach to the remaining aspects of the house renovation though!

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ah, Mybuilder is where it may have gone wrong.
Not entirely sure of how it works, do registered tradespeople buy the lead?
But I would think some reviews could just be faked by associates of said tradesman putting up work that never existed, hiring that person and leaving a glowing review.
Once they are in your property and it’s all going wrong this happens.
But I am sure there are lots of genuine quality tradespeople on there, but possibly too easily faked.
Entirely my own view.
Awaits a verbal slapping.

T

thomashenry

Really could do with photos.
I actually smell a rat, I don’t know anybody who does not have a camera phone in the house, and that includes my 86 year old mum.
Hello from Craig, hows it going , missed me ;);)

I have an iPhone which has been dropped several times and has a broken camera. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Managed to borrow a phone and take some photos though:

PHOTO-2018-09-21-18-00-23.jpg
PHOTO-2018-09-21-18-02-00.jpg
PHOTO-2018-09-21-18-02-20.jpg
PHOTO-2018-09-21-18-02-34.jpg

W

Waluigi

Someone who is out of their depth clearly.

Often on these full refurbs the prep work isn’t done properly, the walls need to be nice and flat for the person doing the tiling to stand half a chance. Getting walls flat takes takes time and costs money.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is it a wetroom then?

Reply to Accept or reject job? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen