Discuss A year in the life of a new Tiler. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LJH Tiling

All the best for the future. It does get better & the rewards will soon come to you.

Unfortunately it does get tough, but it beats working 9-5 for somebody who is making money out of you.

It will all be worth it when youve finally cracked it.

L

leeroberts636

Cheers Sean, an excellent eye opening read! I start my 6 week nvq 2 course on August 16th. Luckily I have known for somethime that I was being made redundant so already have some work lined up after the course (good old family and friends!!). Martin Johnson always said " do the hard hards and the tries will come" sounds like the tries are just round the corner for you!

cheers Lee

M

massai26

Sean
Very interesting read, and hat off to you for perservering. I am just starting out myself part time as I have a day job, but would like to build the tiling up in the background and re visit in a yaers time. I did a 2 week course with PTS in Harlow, and really enjoyed it. I have done 2 estimates one couple didnt even know what tiles they wanted when I got there so it was a bit of a task estimating, the second was a guy who wanted his bathroom done, got there and he had purchased tiles, adhesive etc, and as I entered the bathroom tiles had been put up (bathroom backsplash) very badly done with chip board agains wall then tiles. He said a friend had started it then he decided to get a tiler. I think he had done it myself. I have learnt so far that there are time wasters out there, and every job is potentialy different. Its quiet so far, but I am getting the cards out and have a few jobs through friends coming up. I am going to do my CSCS card but reading your story just proves what friends have told me about site work:thumbsup:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm still here PJ !! Not too busy these days. In fact my order book is empty at the moment. I used to get a lot of work from Topps, but that avenue has completely dried up. Will write a ‘part 2’ within the next few weeks. Cheers Sean

C

Colour Republic

Coming up to 3 years now Sean, how we doing mate? Has each year got better for you? ;)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You might want to get a pregnancy test mate. I'm as potent as hell.

U

UKDAVE

How you getting on then Sean??? I'm just starting out myself, please tell me you are now earning more than 3k a year!

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Great read Sean, similar boat to me from a change of career and been made redundent, I think to make a profit in your first year is great going, when I spoke to the tax office the guy said they didn't expect people to to turn a profit in their first year so hats off to ya.
Hope you do well in the future, keep posting as it gives newbies hope, like me, it's also good to read a lot of positive comments from guys and girls that have been at a long time. So hat off for the encouragement to ya.
Best regards
D

Reply to A year in the life of a new Tiler. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks