Search the forum,

Discuss A little advice please - wall prep before split face tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

giveitago

Hi all,

I have a load of split face tiles to go into a kitchen wall. I took off the old ceramic ones which have been there since the 60s i think. The cement stuff they were put on with isn't steaming or scraping off, it's pretty solid. I don't think it's adhesive as such. I'm wondering if I can just sbr it and put on new tiles or should I get stuck in and try to get it back to the sand and cement underneath.?
Any advice gratefully received.

D

Dumbo

To be honest I wouldn't put split face tiles into a situation where hygiene and easy cleaning is a must . Not the answer you are looking for but very relevant I feel .

T

Time's Ran Out

Only you can tell how well adhered the old adhesive is.
As far as the split faced tiles go it’s all about aesthetics.
As it’s a kitchen wall but not described as in front of a cooker or sink there are brick slips and rustic tiles used, and once sealed they can be cleaned.

G

giveitago

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that it's my own kitchen and I'm a keen DIYer.

The wall is at opposite side of room to cooker, hob and sink, more of a breakfast bar wall. I will consider cleaning and hygiene implications however before proceeding.

I think the cement is solid tho - so If i did decide to go ahead , would I be OK to apply them over the cement - is that something that tiler's do if it is solid enough ?

G

GoneGuy

It all depends how lumpy the adhesive is that is left on the wall?
Would it be easier to overboard with a cement board to take the weight of the splitface tiles

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Welcome! What have you decided?

G

giveitago

I'm thinking overboard would be safest solution. I've looked at a couple and the only downside seems to be losing a (little (12mm)) bit of room space. The split face tiles are kind of heavy - don't know exactly but perhaps 30Kg/m2 or so - so that would remove the guesswork. It would be easier to fit them too without am uneven surface. I'm looking at Hardiebacker 500 as a solution - up to 100kg/m2! That's mechanical fixings and glue.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think the what you are describing is 'sand and cement'.. Which is how tiles were fixed before the introduction of Ready mix and powdered adhesives.
With a bolster and hammer you can get behind it and chop it off( wear gloves)!... Failing that if it's as stuck as you say ... Bond / fill in the gaps and Tile away..( A Tiler would probably fill in and fix at the same time using a flexible powder adhesive)... Good luck .

G

giveitago

It's not too bumpy. I have attached a picture. I used an SDS tile chisel to to get the tiles off and could attack the cement with that, but would rather not!

20171209_194042.jpg 20171213_211829.jpg

Reply to A little advice please - wall prep before split face tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen