Discuss 800x800mm tile fitting advice... in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, I have been tiling 3 years after selling them for 11, I have slowly been getting faster, more organised and trying new things as I progress, bigger rooms, bigger tiles, new patterns, new types of tiles, stuff I would normally shy away from but im getting more confidence to try new tings out, but the other day a job that was meant to be 500x500mm tiles turned into 800x800mm porcelain tiles and Im crapping myself to say the least!!

Im looking for advice and tips on laying them please, prep, trowel size, adhesive suggestions, cutting and handling tips etc Im absolutetly fine with most size tiles but these things are immense, I need to make sure they are flat and secured once the adhesive is dry. From what I know the floor is concrete underneath the old tiles (customers are removing those) and I assume there will be adhesive residue left.

My initial thoughts are, prime the floor (BAL APD) then use BAL rapid-flex fiber, use a 10x20mm trowel, 3mm spacers. Should I consider using Levelling clips, never used them before as im normally ok at getting smaller tiles flat and flush but a mate suggested trying them? I dont own a large enough cutter and dont really want to buy a decent one yet as the expense is more then I can afford in these uncertain times with covid, but 95% of the cuts are under skirting boards so I can use my grinder, but there are about 4-5 tiles that need a perfect clean straing cut as they are in front of a fire place, I can buy a cheapo one ive seen for £40 but I assume it will be ***** an probably break but as long as the score if ok on the 4-5 tiles I need to cut clean, I can snap the tile over some wood, and it will prob cost as much to hire one for the week.

Sorry to ramble on hahah Any advice would be taken in gratefully, thanks guys :)

G

George pande

Hi, I have been tiling 3 years after selling them for 11, I have slowly been getting faster, more organised and trying new things as I progress, bigger rooms, bigger tiles, new patterns, new types of tiles, stuff I would normally shy away from but im getting more confidence to try new tings out, but the other day a job that was meant to be 500x500mm tiles turned into 800x800mm porcelain tiles and Im crapping myself to say the least!!

Im looking for advice and tips on laying them please, prep, trowel size, adhesive suggestions, cutting and handling tips etc Im absolutetly fine with most size tiles but these things are immense, I need to make sure they are flat and secured once the adhesive is dry. From what I know the floor is concrete underneath the old tiles (customers are removing those) and I assume there will be adhesive residue left.

My initial thoughts are, prime the floor (BAL APD) then use BAL rapid-flex fiber, use a 10x20mm trowel, 3mm spacers. Should I consider using Levelling clips, never used them before as im normally ok at getting smaller tiles flat and flush but a mate suggested trying them? I dont own a large enough cutter and dont really want to buy a decent one yet as the expense is more then I can afford in these uncertain times with covid, but 95% of the cuts are under skirting boards so I can use my grinder, but there are about 4-5 tiles that need a perfect clean straing cut as they are in front of a fire place, I can buy a cheapo one ive seen for £40 but I assume it will be ***** an probably break but as long as the score if ok on the 4-5 tiles I need to cut clean, I can snap the tile over some wood, and it will prob cost as much to hire one for the week.

Sorry to ramble on hahah Any advice would be taken in gratefully, thanks guys :)
Before tiling you must know the product of the tile.some of them they are not in the same sizw

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score

Morning.
Try to get the old adhesive up if it will come up easily enough but if well and truly stuck, then slc over. Does your tile suppliers not hire out cutters? . As for laying them , I personally don’t use clips but they might help you on this occasion.
if you can’t hire a cutter , then you could use a hand glass type scribe and snap the tiles by hand if confident 😁 , old school methods.
as for trowel size 10mm and backskim tiles.

Reaction score
Morning.
Try to get the old adhesive up if it will come up easily enough but if well and truly stuck, then slc over. Does your tile suppliers not hire out cutters? . As for laying them , I personally don’t use clips but they might help you on this occasion.
if you can’t hire a cutter , then you could use a hand glass type scribe and snap the tiles by hand if confident 😁 , old school methods.
as for trowel size 10mm and backskim tiles.
Hi, thanks for the reply, I have checked my local tool hire place and they do hire one which is a great relief, not the cheapest at £40 a day but I technically only need it for one day as I will leave cuts til last :) I will more than likely SL over the floor but until the customer has removed the old ones im not sure what state it will be in completely but I will deffo bear this in mind if it needs doing. Im not a fan of the clips for most floor tiling myself, but I'm also thinking I may try them for this one.

If it wasn't for Covid and the uncertainty of work at the moment I would of passed on this job I think but money is money and got to pay the bills some how haha

Thanks David

Reply to 800x800mm tile fitting advice... in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks