Search the forum,

Discuss 600 x 600 Floor tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

carpo

Hi Guys,

Should be starting my kitchen floor tomorrow, would have been today but the floor was more than a little uneven so took all day to sort that out SLC etc.

I am after a bit of advise before I go off at the deep end :)

Basically I am tiling onto a concrete floor that has a layer of water based SLC on top, for question should I apply a primer before adhesive?

The tiles I have a polished porcelain 600 x 600 they are from B&Q. I purchased some mapei mapeker rapid set flex from Tile Giant and was planning to use a 10mm notch trowel, but I am sure it stated on the pack to use a max of 5mm which seems a bit low for such a large tile.

Can anyone offer any advise on the best way top proceed?

Carpo

D

doug boardley

Hi carpo, I'd be using a 20mm (10mm radius) U notched solid bed trowel. 5mm is way to small imo to get 100% coverage. Make sure you give them a good twist as you lay them to get good contact. Also give the tiles a skim of adhesive with the flat blade of your trowel to fill in the profile studs on the underside of your tiles as you're laying them:thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

no need to prime and I am doing similar tiles today with same trowel, should be ok when you bed it in

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
there is no need to prime slc as long as it is dry and dust free.
polished porcelain also needs sealing before you grout
as regards your trowel. you want a u notch trowel ,10mm is not big enough
i would use 15- 20 mm so you get 100% coverage of the tile.
i also think you would be better with a pourable thick bed adhesive.

Last edited:
R

Rav daniels

Hi yes that adhesive is fine, as said no need to prime unless dusty, I would use 10 mm u notched trowel, and seal tile before grouting, good luck

C

carpo

Thanks for all the replies guys :smilewinkgrin:

Good job I asked first, so looks like I need to go back to Tile Giant today, may sound a silly question but a 20mm (10mm radius) U notched solid bed trowel is that 20mm deep by 10mm wide?

If I take the mapei mapeker back what would you recommend I buy instead? next door to Tile Giant is a Topps Tiles so should be able to get BAL if needed.

Thanks for the heads up about sealer, I was going to seal after grouting on advise of the shop!! again any recommendation on the best sealer to go with?

Carpo

C

carpo

Right I checked and it's 20mm wide by 10mm deep, so will pick one up today. I am looking at buying the LTP MPG for sealing the tiles.

So just need to confirm if I should change the adhesive for a thick bed pourable?

I went for 3mm spacers.

Carpo

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
imo i would use thick bed pourable flexy. no need to back butter tiles, and i dont think 10mm deep is big enough. bal do a solid bed trowel think its 15mm .
you will only get 3m2 coverage out of a 20kg bag with a large format trowel so make sure you get enough addy

P

Perry

i think the 5mm is the max depth of finished adhesive not the trowel size most adhesives are 5-6 mm

Reply to 600 x 600 Floor tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen