Search the forum,

Discuss 1st time tiling. Expansion joints? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilemark1

Hi

Just undertaken my first ever tiling job, in my own home.
I am tiling an en-suite shower, a 'C' chape. The walls are block and have been scratch coated. Got most of the work complete and am happy with it.
I left 2mm gaps between top row of tiles and ceiling, is this correct?
I left 2mm gaps between corner tiles, is this correct?

I am about to tile the bottom row of tiles and was wondering how much of a gap to leave between the bottom row of tiles and shower base?

Also, when fitting trim at the end row of tiles I butted the trim up to the tile leaving no gap. Somebody made the comment to me that I should have left a gap of 2mm here to fill with grout. I thought it looked neater just butted up against the tiles.

Your comment would be very much appreciated.

Anybody know what make of ivory silicone sealant I can use that doesnt go black after time.

D

DHTiling

Leave the same gap at the shower tray..they are fine......

I fit my trims fush with the tiles as well looks neater to me...

As for silicone as ong as it is anti fungal and sanitary grade it should be fine....there are brands of silicone that have microban in them as well........and come in quite a few colours to match tiles or grout...

T

tilemark1

Cheers, good to know I am on the right track.
I found a recommended silicone called 'forever ivory', which has microban in it.
I was also recommended Seal Guard for grout and tile sealing. It is an aerosol.

D

DHTiling

Cheers, good to know I am on the right track.
I found a recommended silicone called 'forever ivory', which has microban in it.
I was also recommended Seal Guard for grout and tile sealing. It is an aerosol.

The sealguard is supposed to be good for grout etc......I have heard of the forever white so the ivory must be made by the same peeps.....

The sealguard i think you can spray on after about 15mins after grouting as well ....

M

muffinman

if you are going to tile the correct way then each wall as to move independent of each other wall ,this is why you used silicone exspansion joint in each corner same goes for the ceiling as well (movement) tiles will pop off or crack

Reply to 1st time tiling. Expansion joints? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen