Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Wrong grout colour used - options? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

ditzy

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just that really. Builder bought wrong colour grout, and tiler has used it. 1 room out of 2 done and it looks crap.

What can be done? I'm looking at grout dyes, but not sure how good the finish will be in terms of evenness / staining etc. and that is assuming a decent colour match can be found / mixed. I am trying to match the tile colour as much as possible.

The good news is a lighter grout has been used than what is wanted, so it should be possible to dye down.

Is re-colouring a skilled job? is it likely to be successful?

The other option is to tell them to remove the grout, and use the right stuff. Again, how successful is that likely to be? I don't want the tile edges damaged, or pale edges of old grout showing.

Tiler is coming back to do second room tomorrow. Should i let him continue with the wrong stuff, and hope that re-colouring will work?
or run out and buy the right stuff and get him to start on removal in the first room?

I know option 1 will be far less painful and time consuming, for tiler anyway, but either option has the risk of screwing up.

has anyone any advice to help me deciding which way to go with this?

tiles are 600 x 600 porcelain on concrete with underflooor heating if it makes any difference.

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Buy the correct grout for the second job.

Regrouting is a nightmare, likely to have some kind of damage. I'd go down the route of colouring the grout on the understanding you are not happy it has to be re grouted as it is their error.

Google Mapei Fuga Fresca and then type the same into youtube and there is a tutorial on how to do it. Very easy

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
used a grout colourant from trade tiler on this job when the customer decided she wanted the grout darker. just paint it on the joints and wipe any excess off the tile, piece of cake to use and a good result all round !

20191129_205532.jpg

Reaction score
Have a look at this product . This is an Australian site but is also available in the UK. groutperfect.com.au. A 250mil mil bottle goes a long way , I used less than half a bottle for 14 sqm of 450 x 450 porcelain tiles with 3 mm grout lines . It gives a natural , matte finish and seals at the same time . It will only work on grout lines that are " recessed " otherwise you'll continually be wiping it out of the lines and only apply to a small section at a time. One advantage is you can stop and start as often as you like without the risk of uneven colouring . I used it in Australian conditions on a semi-covered patio and found it easier to remove the excess if I wiped over each section with a damp sponge before applying . Hope this helps , it's definitely an easier option to regrouting with no risk of damage to tiles .

Attachments

• IMG_20211018_115042_413.jpg
    IMG_20211018_115042_413.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 3
M

Marias

??? Homeowner purchased Super White grout, to match other items in bathroom and floor; as well, mortar, tiles and everything required.

Unbenounced to homeowner, installer went to store, purchased grey grout and applied. Homeowner totally upset.

Homeowner just wants to close the door and not pay because they'd have to redo whole bathroom.

Reply to Wrong grout colour used - options? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock