Search the forum,

Discuss which adhesive for cappuccino marble??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

:oops: sorry saffy!! having said that I still think you should listen to us, I will be putting a new thread up soon about a job I have been on today where the customer used the wrong adhesive..........................sand and cement to be exact!!!! it all came up.

:lol:

T

tfs

Hi saffy,

it is very difficult to make the mix wrong if you follow the instructions. E.g - a bag of Mapeis keraflex adhesive requires 7ltrs of water. Measure 7 ltrs of water and pour this into a bucket, add the powder and then mix until you can see no more lumps. Leave the adhesive to rest for two minutes and then mix for a further minute and thats all you need to do.

If you mix one bag at a time with the correct measurement of water you cant go wrong. It is when you mix small amount for a bag and guess the amount of water required that the mix may be wrong.

Some adhesives such as Mapei Kerraquick can be mixed with a latex admix. This is normaly one bottle of admix that you mix with one bag of adhesive.

If you can convince your oh to go with powder adhesive then remember to use a white one.

T

tfs

Hi saffy,

I forgot to mention that if you do use a ready mixed adhesive, and they do manage to adhere the tiles to the wall, then it may takes at least a week or possibly even a few for the adhesive to set. Ready mixed adhesive relies on air to dry out and set. With tiles as large as 30x60 there are less grout joints(which is one way that the air gets to the adhesive) and this can be a problem when adhesive is setting. Many ready mixed adhesive are not suitable for marble so this is another thing to worry about.

Powder adhesives will not rely on the air etc as much as ready mixed as the set due to a chemical reaction in the adhesive. As a result they are considered far more suited to larger format tiles. Adhesives such as Keraflex and kerraquick are suitable for all types of tile e.g. ceramic, porcelain and stone.

S

saffy

hi guys,

thanks for all your replies :)
am feeling pretty pants tonight :(
as i said earlier we argued this morning when I tried to explain, he is adamant he trusts the guys doing the bathroom (and to be fair they have done a super job of the work, including vaxing the carpet when they finished)
we went and got keraflex (eek- the cost!!! lol) but it blew up again this evening.
I know he is hurt at my comments this morning (saying he could pay for breakages if he used ready mix- wrong of me to say!) and he has said he feels uncomfortable doing it now cos of all the aggro and cos he feels i will blame him of anything goes wrong cos thats what I'm like, and he only got the adhesive to shut me up. that i'm a mitherer and its ridiculous the way i spend hours online checking things out like this.
all probably very true :(

the trouble is I know him, i know he will do a fab job, and i trust him more than anyone else to do it, i just dont know how to get through to him at the mo.
and hate that we have fallen out.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

I'm sure he will do a geat job...he has bought the adhesive now...so let him get on with it and praise his work...

You have done the right job by making sure the right adhesive was used..... :thumbsup:

p.s...Give him a big cuddle from tilersforums saffy..:smilewinkgrin: and the argument will blow over..

S

saffy

hi Dave,

hope so.
part of the problem was that the guys doing the bathroom are polish and going back there on 17th. So for them to fit the shower screen and refit the radiator the tiling needs to be done by then..... thats one of the things that started the upsets.
i shouldnt have said things even in jest or in temper to him, as its just added pressure for him to be finished by then when he already felt under pressure to get it right in the first place.
i cant say anything to make him feel any different about things now even though i want to.

he did an amazing job of my kitchen tiles, and has thought through so many bits to do with the bathroom, and made so many improvements.

i feel such a moo.
knowing keraflex is the right adhesive doesnt actually matter at the mo, would so much rather he was happy and we hadnt fallen out :(

D

diamondtiling

Saffy, it will all blow over tomorrow, go out and buy him a £2000 wetsaw, he will love it and love you, when he has finished with it I will buy it off you for.........er.......lets see............£500, ok £800.

:lol::lol:

D

DHTiling

hi Dave,

hope so.
part of the problem was that the guys doing the bathroom are polish and going back there on 17th. So for them to fit the shower screen and refit the radiator the tiling needs to be done by then..... thats one of the things that started the upsets.
i shouldnt have said things even in jest or in temper to him, as its just added pressure for him to be finished by then when he already felt under pressure to get it right in the first place.
i cant say anything to make him feel any different about things now even though i want to.

he did an amazing job of my kitchen tiles, and has thought through so many bits to do with the bathroom, and made so many improvements.

i feel such a moo.
knowing keraflex is the right adhesive doesnt actually matter at the mo, would so much rather he was happy and we hadnt fallen out :(

Maybe it was needed to get the job done right.....Sorry if it has caused you distress but we are here to help get the correct materials used...that is sorted and he will get over his mood....

Please do let us know how the job turned out and maybe some pics to cheer us up..:smilewinkgrin:

p.s If he does not finish by the 17th , then the bathroom guys will have to wait..:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

I used to enjoy tiling until I read this!:sad:
Now I'am so upset that we haven't been able to convince a member of the public the right way to tile.
I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight now!
Any comforting words from Admin?

D

diamondtiling

We have helped saffy john, the problem was that she had to then in turn convince her partner.

Do you ask for directions when you are lost TJ ????

Its a man thing.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to which adhesive for cappuccino marble??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen