Search the forum,

Discuss What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If you're using large format tiles you will need to use a thick-bed tile adhesive. A thick-bed tile adhesive will have 'filler's in it or a coarse sand to help it bond and cure correctly without shrinkage and cracking.

Using the wrong tile adhesive and tiling trowel for large format tiling can cause tiles to not be bonded and eventually become un-fixed.

D

Deleted member 15

Mudster said:
Technically an SBR primer is for slurry priming concrete floors and sealing the edges and back of wood substrates before tiling.

For priming gypsum plaster walls or plasterboard you should be using an APD primer. (Read BAL's techinicaly literature for a chemical explanation on why this is).

Technically an sbr is a modified acrylic polymer dispersion bonding agent, the very same polymers used in apd. Sbr has several uses. as a bonding slurry as u mentioned and adding in to sand cement renders and screeds and when watered down it can be used as a primer.

M

Mudster

Actually SBR is water based not acrylic (the description you used - modified acrylic polymer dispersion agent is actually APD, hence the acronym). so it's fine as a render additive/primer but for Gyproc plaster APD is the way to go. Which was generally what I was getting at.

SBR is basically similar to PVA, it can be used as a brush on primer on sand/cement renders before they are plastered but not a primer on plaster itself it's just not designed for that.

You are correct that you need an acrylic polymer dispersion agent, but you've confused the two product and are mistakenly using SBR instead of APD.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mudster

On BAL WhiteStar, I only ever used this once and it failed completely. I had a call back on a job where the customer had decided to have a bath panel tiled replacing a plastic affair that came with the bath.

It was 15mm WBP, well made and fitted to a solid frame, so I decided I'd give the White star a try seeing as it made it clear it was for use in bathrooms and flexible enough to go on wood. Made sure the wood was clean and dust free and happily tiled.

Three months later all the tiles fell off, I had BAL technical down who took it all away and were unable to provide any satisfactory reason it should have failed, however refused any liability as if you read the product sheet that accompnies BAL white Star it's made clear that although you can tile on Wood and although you can use it in a bathroom, you can't use it on wood in a bathroom.

So I pointed out that the bathroom had yet to be used, (this was an extension in a large property that already had another 4 bathrooms). They stuck to their guns and refused any claim on the grounds that the sdhesive had been used in an unsuitable situation.

That's the one and only time I've used ready mix.

A

aspley

I was originally thinking for floor tiles actually but I suppose wall tiles come in to play too. White star would be excellent for walling providing the thickness of the bed isn't above it's maximum. Which I think isn't actually too thick at all.
Hi Dan.............was looking at this post for advice on best adhesive for large format 900 x 300 ceramic tile to go onto skimmed plasterboard. Weight is circa 16kg per sq metre. Do I need a primer.
Was looking at Dunlop setfast plus or Mapei Kerafix maxi or a Vitra product. All very confusing!!

D

doug boardley

Hi Dan.............was looking at this post for advice on best adhesive for large format 900 x 300 ceramic tile to go onto skimmed plasterboard. Weight is circa 16kg per sq metre. Do I need a primer.
Was looking at Dunlop setfast plus or Mapei Kerafix maxi or a Vitra product. All very confusing!!
you will definitely need an acrylic primer if p/boards are skimmed (gypsum and cementitious addy's should always be primed!) but a single part flexi adhesive will bring you right up to the bearable weight for a skimmed wall

S

stevep1

the technical info on the palce web site, regarding their tilers' primer, claims that it's a S B R and suitable for priming gypsum plaster before tiling with a cement based adhesive. I have had a recent failure with this and have since read that maybe i should have used an A P D primer.Confused and fed up now. Been tiling many years. Feel like i know less now than when i started. WE used to PVA EVERYTHING AND JUST TILE. Any advice welcome.

S

stevep1

all the tiles in a marble bathroom 600 x 400 tiles. and all the tiles in another bath room. 900 x 400. ceramic came off when de pegged. the walls were primed and single part flexy was used , as i have done thousands of times before. have since tested other adhesives and primers and even not priming and cant get a tile to stick. they come off clean not leaving a mark on the wall. have sanded walls back . tried everything. thing is a length of trim i put on with white star tub gear stuck like you know what. shame i cant use it on such large tiles.

D

DHTiling

all the tiles in a marble bathroom 600 x 400 tiles. and all the tiles in another bath room. 900 x 400. ceramic came off when de pegged. the walls were primed and single part flexy was used , as i have done thousands of times before. have since tested other adhesives and primers and even not priming and cant get a tile to stick. they come off clean not leaving a mark on the wall. have sanded walls back . tried everything. thing is a length of trim i put on with white star tub gear stuck like you know what. shame i cant use it on such large tiles.

This could be a number of things..

Either you are using insufficient primer or spreading to much addy and it skins off before you press tiles into situ or incorrect fixing method.

To have failures job on job then it must be fixer error.??

D

DHTiling

I suggest you wind your attitude back a bit..:thumbsdown:..

Does it say on the bottle to apply primer neat..?.. not many i know say apply neat.

Tiling for 15 yrs.. maybe so but does that mean you have done it right for 15 yrs..

we are here to help and having a dig gets you no where...

How long have you left the primer to dry before tiling.. how old is the plaster.. at what temp are you tiling....like i said loads of reasons..

S

stevep1

tried everything. been in every morning this week just to try some new primer or addy. started with benferfix then benferflex then palace spf. diluting primer,one coat ,two coats, none. spreading wall,spreading tile, spreading both,dobbing. think he might have to cement board over plaster. thing is 4 houses 5 bathrooms each. alot of work. would rather find something that sticks. never seen anything like it.

Reply to What tile adhesive is used for large format tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.