Search the forum,

Discuss What is your preferred method? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Ok..... anyone, everyone,.........why?
Please educate me, cos I’m obviously missing something.

After all, you must have your reasons, I’m interested in knowing them please.

W

Waluigi

Availability, less joints, tried and tested. No more ply 22mm might work just fine but in a Bathroom I’d still prefer that single sheet of ply or couple of sheets of ply and a single join then over boarded.

A joint every 500mm for me isn’t ideal with backer board IMO- In other words I don’t have the confidence in the product.

O

Old Mod

I’m not looking for a fight I promise. :D

I appreciate there is more than one solution, I use them myself all the time.
I’m not always comfortable tho, and of course I know budget can play it’s inevitable part, but I do struggle to get my head around a perfect solution getting ditched in favour of not only inferior products being used and a single part system being ditched for a two part solution.
#yagitme! :D:p

B

Blunt Tool

99 out of 100 times it’s an existing or old chipboard floor to start with and price dictates how I deal with it. The 1 time out of 100 I could have used tg cement board I thought it was obselete here until I was enlightened tonight! I saw the light, praise the board!

W

Waluigi

I’ll consider it for my next project but I doubt I’ll get further than the consideration. If it means I’ve got to travel somewhere quite far away to pick up 4 x £50 boards and 3 x £6 tubes of adhesive, I doubt I’ll do it.

If it’s in a local merchants and I weigh things up and it seems a viable option then I’ll go for it.

There must be a reason why it hasn’t taken off and I think I’ve just done my best to explain it.

O

Old Mod

Maybe I don’t know enough about it

I think one problem is that it’s viewed in the same way as their 6mm board, it’s nothing like it.

Firstly it’s structural.

Secondly it’s Tongue and grooved.

In perfect honesty, I’d go for GIFA board over No more ply, but is certainly go for the no more ply over everything else, if I had complete choice.
That’s all I’m really getting at.
Yes there are always extenuating circumstances for which ever course of action we take, but that notwithstanding, I’d still go for an inert structural board.

W

Waluigi

You’d Gifa GIFA Board? ;)

I’ll have a look into that one. Thanks.

I’m not adverse to looking into different methods but sometimes these things need a proper push by the manufacturers/suppliers.

Reply to What is your preferred method? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen